Talk

Advanced search

4 year old scared of thunder and refusing to sleep in own bedroom

(6 Posts)
Notfastjustfurious Sat 27-Aug-16 22:09:05

Few weeks back there was some really bad thunder here around 5am, we thought dd had slept through it as we didn't hear from here and she was (until then) a really good sleeper. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and she has gone on and on about the thunder ever since. At first it was waking up screaming that it was coming back but now we're at a point where she won't even consider sleeping in her own bed and screams and cries at the mere suggestion. She's been sleeping in our bed now for 2 weeks with no sign of this getting better any time soon. We've tried Thunder spray and a special Thunder bear but no joy. Anyone have any advice/idea?

InsaneDame Sat 27-Aug-16 22:13:59

You could sleep in her room with her just to get her used to being back in her own bed then gradually work your way out? Like gradual withdrawal I suppose.

Notfastjustfurious Mon 29-Aug-16 21:16:22

I set up a blow up bed in the room to try that but the little monkey changed rooms and was fast asleep before I went up to bed. Just can't seem to convince her the thunder won't be back.

oobedobe Wed 31-Aug-16 18:39:03

Two things have helped my daughter with this, first we got a white noise machine (she doesn't like the sound of wind, rain or thunder on her window at night). If there happens to be thunder at night we can turn it up a bit.

Second we watched a Charlie and Lola episode 100 times "Thunder does completely not scare me" which helped her understand it's "just weather".

Don't try to say the thunder won't be back, it probably will at some point!

Notfastjustfurious Wed 31-Aug-16 19:34:19

Ooh that's an idea I will find that episode and give that a go. She did have a ticking clock at one point which I think does the white noise kind of thing, so a replacement might be in order. Thanks.

I'm kind of hoping by the time we have thunder again she's older and more reasonable. I live in hope.

mandyemma13 Thu 01-Sep-16 23:55:38

Get a YouTube video on with loud thunder when she's asleep in your bed. And be like OH NO the thunder is in Mummy's room. You MUST sleep in your bed I checked your room its not in there. Sometimes fixing a scared child means you need to scare them with the same thing they are afraid of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now