Talk

Advanced search

Irrational fear in toddler

(9 Posts)
SleepForTheWeak Fri 26-Aug-16 19:15:58

Looking for some advice and no idea what way to tackle this.

Over the last couple of days DD had developed a fear of bees. Anything flying or buzzing in fact (although she refers to them all as bees)

Up until now she really quite liked them. I don't fear them so she hasn't seen me act worried around them.

We are on holiday at the moment and she won't go out side in the garden or even into her paddling pool as she is scared of all the bees (they're flys)

Not sure what's the best technique. She freezes and just cried 'bees'. Not sure what's happened!

BettyOBarley Fri 26-Aug-16 19:21:21

My DD (2.8) has become like this, it started with greenfly earlier this summer. A work colleague recommended giving her a cloth and calling it her fly cloth and telling her she could use it to waft them away. It does seem to have worked to some extent within a few days, she's still not keen but is more intent now on finding her clothing flapping them away than running away screaming!

There was another very similar thread on here about a week ago which might have other ideas.

ayeokthen Fri 26-Aug-16 19:22:36

Our DD did this recently, although we've never shown fear in front of her of any bugs/bees she's terrified. We just kept reinforcing that they were friendly and to leave them to buzz around happily and she's chilled out a lot. Not with daddy long legs tho.

MrsBellefleur Fri 26-Aug-16 19:23:30

Mine is like this at the minute, she's 3 and a half nearly. Any wasp, fly, spider sends her running to me squealing and hiding behind my legs. I just keep telling her bees are our friends, wasps won't hurt us if we leave them alone etc but nothing's working at the minute. I don't show fear so not sure where it's come from.

SleepForTheWeak Fri 26-Aug-16 19:36:04

It's strange as a young child wouldn't even consider it stinging them? To be fair I really dislike wasps so maybe she's picked up on that although I try not let it show.

She's 22 months so still really young - she's a very deep feeling child though so everything is extreme!

SoItGoesSophieTrout Fri 26-Aug-16 19:36:24

Haha it'll pass as quickly as it came. Or perhaps it won't - fact is we are humans and we are irrational.

EvansAndThePrince Fri 26-Aug-16 19:38:04

Mine has suddenly become utterly terrified of the very few brown leaves floating about the pavements. Autumn is going to be a ball hmm

corythatwas Fri 26-Aug-16 21:36:16

Some children just develop these fears. My db was afraid of tunnels, railway crossings, ornamental stoves and a few other things I can't remember. Just one of those things.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 26-Aug-16 21:42:32

Bach flower remedy mimulus. Worked for my DD at a similar age. Fear of known things. Give a few drops in water, morning and night and at crunch points.

My DD had an almost inate fear of bugs, long story but before she could speak, or had really heard the word she said 'tared' and signed the Manaton sign for scared which I had nit taught her, when she saw a dead spider on a web.

The fear of flying things got so bad we could barely function as a family with small children, she would go back into the house and shut the door.

And she is a deep feeling child!

Good news is that Bach Flowers worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now