Not walking at 17 months

(20 Posts)
mumhum Thu 25-Aug-16 20:32:20

DS2 is a very happy baby. He army crawled at 9 months snd switched to hands/knees crawl at 12 months. In the past few months he learnt to pull himself up to standing and cruises confidently. In the past few weeks he has taken it upon himself to stand on his own in a wide legged stance in the middle of the room, he does this all by himself with no pulling up or support from furniture or me. When standing like this he has a big grin on his face and claps. All of this with no prompting, but lots of praise. But he's not interested in walking and screams if I try and help him. Any tips to help or encourage him, or should I just leave him be and he'll walk when he's ready? I know I should not compare but DS1 was walking confidently by this age, as are DS2's peers and I don't like to see him left behind the others tearing across the playground.

TwitTwatTwunt Thu 25-Aug-16 22:01:16

Don't worry, he'll be up and walking any time now! Dd was 19 months before she bothered. Ds, 20 months younger, was walking well before his 1st birthday so I did have concerns why dd was so late.

Hedgeh0g Thu 25-Aug-16 22:17:28

He'll get there. My ds was a week off of 18 months when he walked, and now (2 years) I'm not sure you can tell the difference between him and his peers who were walking 6 months earlier. He also commando crawled, then learnt to 'normal' crawl, and was so proficient at it that he couldn't see the point in walking - too slow.

Orchidflower1 Thu 25-Aug-16 22:21:29

Please don't worry my ds walked at 17 months and 3 weeks whereas dd ( older one) walked confidently at 13 m. Ds just didnt see the point when his dsis passed him stuff! Now they are older she's more likely to throw it stuff at him!! Enjoy the time whilst they're small xx

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Thu 25-Aug-16 22:22:12

I was informed that they don't worry unless a child hits 2. My DD started walking 4 freaking days before she was 2.

Bythebeach Thu 25-Aug-16 22:37:30

Just to add to the chorus, don't worry! My DS2 didn't walk until 18months, DS1 and DS3 walked at 14 months. They all crawled at 9 months. DS1 had over 100 words at 14 months and spoke in complete sentences at 18 months. DS3 only began linking the odd word at 21 months but has pretty good speech now at 3.10. Development is so individual and there is a huge range of 'normal'!

mumhum Fri 26-Aug-16 05:41:35

Thanks all, he's an independent spirit who will just get there when he's ready I suppose!

0hCrepe Fri 26-Aug-16 06:05:38

Dd didn't walk till about 18 months but when she did she walked really well, ie none of that back breaking wobbly walking where you have to help them by holding both hands. She was just up and off!

user1471734618 Fri 26-Aug-16 06:08:47

do not worry. My dd did not walk until she was 18 months old.

EsmesBees Fri 26-Aug-16 06:16:03

Mine was a late walker too so I understand what it's like to be carrying them around the park when their little friends run around. But it sounds like he is almost there. My experience is that although she walked late (17m) she 'got' it much quicker than other younger walkers and we skipped the head bumping wobbly leg stage.

ingenvillvetavardukoptdintroja Fri 26-Aug-16 06:28:51

Yes mine is same, 17 months next week, coasts and stands but doesn't look close to taking a step! I can see him learning new things every day though so not worrying. Think he prefers talking!

Stellabystarlight Fri 26-Aug-16 06:35:23

I completely understand why you would worry about this.

My DD1 walked at 10 months and everyone said 2nd babies were quicker as they want to catch up with their sibling. DD2 didn't read that memo. She was a different nature and quite content to just sit and watch her sister, for months! She didn't even crawl until 11 months and then finally walked at 16.5 months. She was then running within weeks.

I did read up on what is normal and came to the realisation that the important thing is progress. You describe your DS developing at his own pace and progress is evident. Walking will come when he wants to. Like my DD he is clearly physically ready and able, he just hasn't quite figured it out yet!

Ilovenannyplum Fri 26-Aug-16 06:41:47

DS didn't walk until he was 20 months, he's just turned 2 now and although not quite at the running around at full speed stage, you couldn't tell he was a late walker.

My health visitor was freaking out, insisting on hip scans and hospital paediatric appts. I knew he was just a bit lazy and preferred to crawl/be carried diva we (temporarily) live with PIL's whilst our house is being renovated and there is always lots of people around to pick him up when he wanted which I don't think helped.

He's also very small, think still in 12-18 and the odd 9-12 clothes now so I think he just wasn't sturdy enough for it.

I know it's hard but don't worry, they'll walk when they're ready smile

mumhum Fri 26-Aug-16 08:31:48

Ok thanks that's all very reassuring. He is speaking a little already so maybe an early talker and late walker.

NoahVale Fri 26-Aug-16 08:38:37

has he got pushalong toys?
give him lot of encouragement.
will you get health visitor check at 18 months?

mumhum Fri 26-Aug-16 09:09:21

We have a brick trolley but he prefers to push chairs along our wooden floors (screech....). As it's hot here (we live abroad) he is in bare feet and not in shoes yet as I understand it's best not to put a baby in shoes until they are walking. Yes we have an 18 month check in a few weeks.

NoahVale Fri 26-Aug-16 09:31:02

that's right, bear feet are best,
love the screechy chairs grin

0hCrepe Fri 26-Aug-16 09:33:16

Yes dd talked early. She also had very small feet, don't know if that had anything to do with it!

mumhum Fri 26-Aug-16 09:40:15

Ha ha Noah, bear feet 🐻 or small feet I don't know!

NoahVale Fri 26-Aug-16 11:31:45

oops,
bare feet are better grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now