20 month old just won't chew

(2 Posts)
porsmork Thu 25-Aug-16 14:18:12

Not sure if I should post this in behaviour, or in food...

My Ds is 20 months old, has 16 teeth (all but back 4 molars) and REALLY dislikes chewing things. Anything with a skin on is especially bad (I.e cherry tomatoes, cucumber, Apple, satsuma). He'll pop the object in, chew it for a few bites then spit it out. Even if I take the skins off things, he will chew, then spit. Even sometimes with bread or toast.

It's making it really hard to feed him anything (without a huge mess), and his diet is becoming increasingly limited. Typically, he is fine with breadsticks and crackers/ rice cakes.

Has anyone experienced this, and has any tips for encouraging him to chew and swallow small lumps? And any ideas for things he can eat. I feel he's not getting enough protein or veggies at the moment.

footballwidow12 Thu 25-Aug-16 14:59:45

Sounds behaviour driven rather than a physical problem as you are saying he will eat breadsticks.

My DD is 2 and she can be a bit fussy and with skins too - I'm sure it's pretty normal up to a point. But I just keep trying her with them and I'm sure she will eat them eventually. What I don't do though is swap them for something she prefers - if she doesn't eat it then it's a bit tough!!

I think that perhaps you need to stick to your guns a little and show this little man that he isn't going to get his own way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now