Talk

Advanced search

Not crawling

(16 Posts)
Lupinlady5 Tue 23-Aug-16 15:42:41

10 month old can't crawl - keeps trying but can't get to all fours from
Tummy. Is this very late?

Bubblebloodypop Tue 23-Aug-16 15:43:38

I wouldn't worry yet, DN started crawling very suddenly around that time.

usual Tue 23-Aug-16 15:44:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GoBigOrange Tue 23-Aug-16 16:45:34

I think it is a little later than average, but not so late that you need to be concerned at all. My son was trying and failing to crawl at 10 months too, then all of a sudden he just had a huge burst of development and figured out crawling and pulling up in the space of about a week and was starting to walk by the time he turned a year old.

YorkieDorkie Tue 23-Aug-16 16:49:17

I don't think that's late and some babies miss crawling out altogether! It's clearly imminent.

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Tue 23-Aug-16 16:50:45

DD didn't crawl until nearly 12 months. I assume she did a bit of bum shuffling as she would get herself into different places if I popped out of the room, never saw her though. Started climbing before walking unaided at 15 months. Nearly 19 months now and no stopping her.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 23-Aug-16 16:57:02

My DS was dragging himself along in a fairly ineffective commando style from 9 months but only mastered crawling on all fours at 11 months. It took him a bit longer than others to master bilateral co-ordination (it took him ages to clap as well) which I think is what held him back.

A friend's DD had brilliant co-ordination but didn't have the strength to pull-up or crawl so again she was later than average.

There are a lot of components to crawling so one of many things can be a bit late developing and it means they are slow to crawl.

freetrampolineforall Tue 23-Aug-16 16:58:48

My dd never crawled. Ever. She started pulling herself up, cruising on furniture at about 10 or 11 months.

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Aug-16 16:59:08

My ds was cruising before he crawled. No sign at all of crawling till the week before he was 1, then he suddenly shot across the floor. Then he was walking totally on his own 4 weeks later and hasn't stopped moving since!

bonzo77 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:11:00

Middle one crawled around 14 months. Youngest one still sitting on arse looking bewildered and frustrated at nearly 12 months. I wouldn't worry.

louise987 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:31:51

Nothing to worry about, totally normal for the age. It's great that they are trying, the incentive is all they need, once they get the strength built up they will be away.

Enjoy the ability to watch them in one place while it lasts smile

Maki79 Tue 23-Aug-16 21:35:07

None of mine crawled until over 1 year. Still waiting for 16 month old to show an interest in walking! Don't worry at all smile

albertcampionscat Wed 24-Aug-16 11:58:26

I think children are expected to be able to cross a room by their first b'day. Walking/crawling/bumshuffling/rolling all good.

InsomniacDormouse Wed 24-Aug-16 12:05:04

My DD only figured out bum shuffling at 12 months than crawling at 14. She's just cruising now at 19 months. She's always been more interested in using her hands and communicating. All babies develop at different speeds. Sounds like yours is trying and will get it soon.

Lupinlady5 Wed 24-Aug-16 12:51:23

Thanks for all the replies. He sits well and rolls in both directions, but can't seem to get the strength in his trunk to allow him to crawl iyswim

waitingforsomething Thu 25-Aug-16 06:54:37

DS didn't crawl until 12.5 months. From 10 month he bottom shuffled and now at 13 months he uses a mixture of both methods plus cruising the furniture. In fact I think the cruising even came before the crawling. He's going to walk shortly but it's all developed really fast and quite recently. I know loads of 10 month olds that are doing very little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now