Talk

Advanced search

7yo DS suddenly become a stroppy teenager

(4 Posts)
Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 18-Aug-16 17:52:21

Back chatting, eye rolling, huffing, shouting, tantrums etc etc

He's 7 and has always been a big softy, gentle, kind, well behaved and easy going.

The change started a couple of weeks before the summer holidays and I initially put it down to tiredness from end of term. But it's still going strong.

I've tried the softly softly approach, I've tried reasoning it all through and I've tried losing my shit. And everything in between.

Every time he's sorry, he won't do it again and then he does it again.

I just want my boy back, not the stroppy monster that has possessed him!

Help!

BearFeet Thu 18-Aug-16 17:59:09

Very common. My ds is 9.5 and he's a lot happier recently. It's a long slog though. I felt very disconnected from him. Hang in there it does get better. Don't pull him up on every little thing or else I felt like everything was so negative between us. Try to stay positive if you can. Keep a few important rules in place but let a few things slide too or else you're in for a miserable ride.
People tell me I've got the most polite, funny boy which is great. He just always saved his attitude for his family 😩

3littlefrogs Thu 18-Aug-16 18:02:34

He is growing.
Maybe just needs more food and sleep.
Also - there is a testosterone surge at this age.
Try to keep calm and carry on - everything is a phase.

Could he be worried about going back to school?
Are the classes being mixed up this year?
Does he know/like his new teacher?

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Thu 18-Aug-16 19:01:30

He's really happy about school next year - likes his teacher and for first time he has his friends in his class so I'm pretty sure it's not school stresses. He's doing well academically too so school seems to be ok.

It's the negating moaning about everything that's got to me this week. Nothing is right. Everything is stupid and it's exhausting to be around 24/7.

He had always been so positive and enthusiastic about everything. This is such a change of character! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now