Talk

Advanced search

DD making annoying loud noise

(5 Posts)
WittyCakeMeister Wed 17-Aug-16 21:56:35

My husband and I disagree over how we should respond to a noise that our 3 year old daughter is making. She has started clicking her tongue over-again for long periods of time. It's pretty loud - if I'm sitting in the lounge I can hear her doing it wherever she is in the house.

My husband thinks we should ignore it and let her do it. I tried ignoring it, but it was driving me nuts. In the end I told her to stop, and said it was too loud and annoying. However, she keeps doing it every now and again. My husband let her do it - until I pointed out that it sends the wrong message if one of us is saying 'yes' and the other 'no'.

I think he is over-compensating for the fact that he knows I have an issue with mouth noises (misophonia). I do find those kind of noises irritating. However, I have ignored every other noise she has made that I've found irritating (this is the first one I've told her to stop,) but I think this one should be stopped as it is loud and goes on and on and on.

I am of the opinion that it is right to teach our kids to be considerate of others around them. Just as shouting loudly indoors is irritating to others, so may other repetitive loud sounds. He thinks it's not an irritating noise, but if she were doing this in a restaurant, I should think others near by would be thinking 'for goodness sake, shut your child up!' :-)

Thinking of telling her she can do it in a designated area (her bedroom with doors closed) when it starts up again.

Anyone dealt with similar or any advice/views?

gamerchick Wed 17-Aug-16 22:08:04

I'll swap you for BIG claps and BIG stamps, especially around the door to the toilet when you're sitting on the lav. grin mines going through a repetitive particularly noisy stage atm and I have the same hearing thing. He may as well just whack me over the head repeatedly. I'm not enjoying these summer holidays with him.

For you and for in general anyway a pair of ear defenders you can pop on. I put the bairns on when I'm on the verge of tears or wanting to rip off my ears and they're marvelous. The more you bring attention to it the longer it'll take to die out and pass. She's just little yet and isn't responsible for your ear woes.

YouAreMyRain Wed 17-Aug-16 22:12:30

I disagree. You don't want it to become a habit! It'll be harder to stop in two years time if you leave it now.

How is she with noise generally? I have a child who does stuff like this and after years I realised that she is "sensory seeking" with sounds. It's like she can't bear silence! She has the TV loud, talks loudly etc and makes noises if there isn't any background noise. Maybe try substituting a background noise you can tolerate? Like the radio etc?

Imfinehowareyou Wed 17-Aug-16 22:24:21

It sounds like it could be a vocal tic. If it is, she has no control over it and you telling her to stop will add stress and make it worse. They tend to stop if you ignore (I know this is hard but I would take a click sound over Dd's snorting any day). Please google vocal tic as your dd really might not be in control of this.

WittyCakeMeister Wed 17-Aug-16 22:53:15

Thanks for the feedback. Keep the ideas coming please.

My husband has just told me she has copied it off the film 'Frozen'. It's the tick-tock noise they do. I did not know this!! So therefore I don't think it's a vocal tic.

I wear ear plugs to sleep in (they are V addictive). Hadn't thought of using them for this. Good idea! However, I am up for stopping the noise if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now