Talk

Advanced search

Sprinter

(4 Posts)
RosieTheCat Tue 16-Aug-16 08:24:08

DD is 2.5 and I'm currently 36+1 with DD2 so not very quick on my feet at the moment

Lately when out DD has been given a bit more freedom such as if we are walking in town she will walk next to me very carefully without holding my hand which she is very good at. She will stay right next to me never out of arms reach and hold my hand when told never once misbehaving

However when we are out at a park or attraction she will on the spur of a moment, you can never tell when as it doesn't always happen, suddenly run off ignoring me calling her
Yesterday for instance we were at a local attraction with a friend and her two DD's. All the girls were playing nicely about 10ft away from us on a big green then mine just up and ran towards the car park, I was stood up poised for action and sprinted after her but she would have made it into traffic if it wasn't for another lady who grabbed her.
We were a good distance from the car park entrance I just couldn't catch up to her, DD is fast! and friend is slower than me so couldn't have reached her first either I now dread taking DD out

She has a bag with reins attached her "fish bag" which is a good threat as she hates it and only fights it minimally now but I cant keep her on it all the time as she'd never be able to play with other kids, I have drilled into her that cars squish little girls so much so that she is scared of moving cars when not stood next to me and will freeze if she hears one coming up the drive but she still just runs off when out

Has anyone got any ideas of how to get her to stop?

my only other idea's at the moment are never take her out, strap her in the buggy which will only work for a few more weeks or repurpose my dogs extendi lead
Oh and she behaves perfectly never running off for anyone else

isthistoonosy Tue 16-Aug-16 08:32:18

Can she explain why she is running/ what she is going after?
Although honestly it sounds like she knows you cant catch her and is testing her boundaries. Some stop and go practice (run ahead a little stop or come back when told) and strict rule/consequence if she ever runs off, would be what I'd do as a start.

RosieTheCat Tue 16-Aug-16 09:56:17

Yes and no she just says xxx run away then giggles and holds my hand on the way back usually if you ask her something she'll give you more to go on
I'll start the stop and go practice later today it dosent help we're moving house soon onto a main road and im panicking about her getting out so DP is installing a secondary gate with a big lock first thing after we get the keys

isthistoonosy Tue 16-Aug-16 20:04:23

If she talks that well id also tell her it makes you sad/scared when she runs away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now