Talk

Advanced search

2 year old won't eat hardly anything

(8 Posts)
SeumusMacDubh Sun 14-Aug-16 15:38:08

My DS is 2.8 years old and is going through a really trying phase.

He used to eat everything, I could make roast dinner, bolognese, curry, casserole, pasta, whatever it was we were eating and he would eat it. Now, he barely eats anything more than fish fingers and it's driving me crazy and making me feel like a rubbish mum because I know he should be eating more healthily.

A typical day food wise is:

Breakfast: pancake & cereal (usually cherios/weetabix) with milk or orange juice

Lunch: spoonful houmous, 8 olives, cheese sandwich (which he picks at and usually wastes), sweetcorn (often thrown on the floor), sometimes cucumber (thrown on floor), some crackers or crisps (I want him to eat some sort of carb than just houmous and olives!)

Dinner: fish fingers, mashed potato, beans

He will also eat chicken fingers, vegetable fingers sausages and cauliflower grills. He might eat some peas but it's very hit and miss, same with carrots. If we're eating a meat and veg dinner I will give him the veg but he doesn't eat it. He will eat scrambled eggs half the time I give them to him.

We've got into bad habits giving him ketchup with his meals and he often has a small cake or biscuit after his meals.

I'm so fed up with cooking two dinners and knowing that his diet is poor. The only fruit he will eat is raisins and processed fruit sticks. The only veg he consistently eats is olives.

He is also being a complete PIA in other areas: smashing up all his toys and tipping everything out rather than playing; hurting his 10 mo sister.

I also want to potty train him (ha ha) but I think we need to deal with one thing at a time and he's so not interested in potty training at the moment.

Sorry for the long post!! sad

suspiciousofgoldfish Sun 14-Aug-16 21:21:20

I didn't want to read and run - unfortunately I am in no way an expert but I do know that two year olds are generally a pain in the arse.

I think you're doing well with giving
him lots of picky bits to choose from.

I am very impressed with the olive eating! grin mine would throw them back at me in disgust, like Gordon Ramsay.

In my (unqualified) opinion, toddlers tend to love a certain food one week and hate it the next, so just bear with it and he will eat what he needs to.

I leave a plate of fruits and veg (peppers, strawberries, cucumbers etc) by the telly while DS watches CBeebies (this is a rare occurrence of course, I think using TV as a babysitter is poor parenting ahem blush)
And he usually nibbles on quite a bit of it.

I also find that if I am eating something, he immediately wants it, so I will munch on a veggie-filled lunch pretending it's mine and he invariably polishes it off.

For more tips, you can buy my book, it's called Parenting By Manipulation For Lazy Mothers.

April229 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:38:27

Think you're doing a great job. There's loads of variety there and a bit if ketchup is fine.

I have no experience of this but maybe the less fuss you make the less likely it is to become a thing? Maybe just keep laying out a variety of things and see what he goes for - will probably change here and there. Add a few new things maybe? If those are things he's liked in the past so he's had them lots maybe some peanut butter sandwiches or something and sweet potatoe mash or something? (These are my little ones current favourites) sure appetite will return and if it's food he likes or has liked in the past I'm sure if he's hungry he will eat them, just going through a picky phase.

(Houmous and olives is amazing smile. )

Kanga59 Sun 14-Aug-16 21:41:22

That all looks fine to me, although ditch the ketchup, or just squirt it out until the jar is empty so your child can see its empty.

If you don't want him having so much processes fruit and cake/biscuits, ditch them and let him be hungry. Having a take it or leave it approach and not showing that you care about what he is eating will help

magicboy79 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:11:52

That sounds decent enough to me. I had days my ds only ate wheetabix when in really fussy phases. He's 2 and still very limited on what he eats, no eggs, greens, beef or mince, nothing tomato, everything has to be plain. Won't even eat fish fingers and sausages are hit or miss. We have to hide chicken in his potato.

Main thing is no Matter how much you worry or stress it's not going to make him eat more. I got so stressed I had to step back and let my husband feed our son his dinner. It really helped. Just keep offering that's all you can do. I'm also quite bad I bribe with a ginger bread biscuit or cookie, if he eats il give him one. Not good but works for us

paddypants13 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:18:43

My two ( 3 and 1) go through phases of picking at their food. Then they have phases where I can't fill them so it sounds like you're experiencing the same thing.

I really wouldn't worry. My grandma always used to say that no child will starve whilst there's food in the house.

Swifey Tue 16-Aug-16 09:39:43

Maybe don't give him the cake/biscuit after him meal. He may just be holding out for that. I have two boys, and they can be very trying with food. Can you get him to stand up on a chair and help you prepare something? A good idea is a 'wrap' pizza, with ingredients in little bowls for him to put on top; just use a smear of tomato purée for the base layer, and then put out ham, sweetcorn, olives, chorizo, peppers etc and of course cheese. It's usually a hit in our house! Would be try a babybel? They are quite fun to open and that always encourages them. We also have savoury pancakes with cheese and ham in as a quick supper. How about sweet potato chips or mash? Fresh tortellini? Pudding can be fruit with a dip made of yoghurt? I often make wholemeal savoury scones with bacon and cheese, they like those warm from the oven with butter on. Always put out a plate of veg or crudités with your meal, then he can pick that if he doesn't want his 'real' food. Breakfasts here are usually boiled egg and soldiers, weetabix and fruit or porridge.
Sorry that just seems like a list of food, but just some ideas smile

soupmaker Fri 19-Aug-16 20:43:03

My DD2 has been horribly fussy for the last 6 months. She's gone from eating anything to being exceedingly difficult to feed.

I've stopped all snacks between meals, but it does seem to make a difference.

She eats porridge or weetabix in the morning. Then it's all downhill from there.

She'll eat veg, and some fruits. Lentil soup is okay. Bread, hummus, potatoes, tuna, fish fingers, Greek yoghurt she'll have.

But no pasta, no meats, no eggs, no cheese, it's driving me mad.

I'm hoping it's just a phase and that in time she'll start eating more. I don't offer any alternatives or have a menu so it's eat what you will or starve in our house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now