Talk

Advanced search

Almost 9 mo stopped babbling consonants

(10 Posts)
Lettie12 Sat 13-Aug-16 00:11:45

I'm reaching out for a bit of advice or hopefully reassurance that this might be somewhat normal, but I'm finding myself worried sick about my DS, nearly 9 months, who up until a week ago was babbling nicely, lots of dadada and bababa, etc. Then a few days ago, I noticed he had been a bit quiet and paid more attention, for 2-3 days he babbled only a few times, then no babbling at all (using consonants) for at least the last 3 days. He is still vocalizing a lot, but now it is only "eh" sounds and much squealing/happy screaming of various pitches. Also some low groaning/growling type noises. I wonder what is going on and find myself worrying, as his babbling should be getting more speech-like with consonant sounds, not less so, and I don't understand why he stopped! Otherwise he seems quite engaged, good eye contact, smiles a lot (though at DH and I more often than strangers), and seems interested in everything we're doing. He loves to eat all sorts of food (though no teeth yet), has a great pincer grasp, and is belly-crawling all over. He does not wave, point, clap, etc. yet, though I know it's on the early side. I am just so worried about the sudden lack of babbling after doing it so much. I want to hear that sweet chatter again. Any advice or experience with this?

Supergran58 Sat 13-Aug-16 07:30:10

My grandson (whom I have custody of) is 12 months was exactly the same but now at 12 months his speech is coming on in leaps and bounds - adding a new word to his vocab every couple of days. I was delighted when he said his first word "dog" at 9 months but then after about a week of using, it vanished for about 6 weeks. Ive read subsequently that early words often disappear for a significant length of time before reappearing.
Anyway at 9 months, dgs had just learnt to crawl and I think he was much more interested in getting around than babbling at this age. So I wouldnt worry, in my experience, it is quite normal.

Lettie12 Sat 13-Aug-16 14:07:59

Thank you. Trying not to worry, and hoping my little one picks it back up again soon! He is working hard on hands-and-knees crawling and I can tell he badly wants to pull himself up but hasn't quite got the strength yet. Perhaps he is concentrating on these physical skills at the moment. Any others have any experience to share? I appreciate it very much.

Primaryteach87 Sat 13-Aug-16 14:17:12

My son is older and did this sort of thing (learnt a skill, then forgot about it for a while) whenever he moved on to something new. At 9months I would expect all his mental efforts are going on learning/practising crawling. If it goes on for months and months it would be worth dropping into your local children's centre to see an SLT but it's almost certainly totally normal. Just keep talking to him and don't let anxiety grip you!

Ferguson Sat 13-Aug-16 20:10:51

Oh Dear! Oh Dear! You poor worried Mums.

Thirty-five years ago, when our DS was at the 'babbling' stage, we relied on Penelope Leach's "Your Baby and Child" to answer any queries regarding his progress, and he turned out fine.

Children go through 'stages', and frequently one 'stage' will be eclipsed when a new one is learnt that seems more 'entertaining' and satisfying to the child; and that also elicits more interest and approval from adults. In a few months he will start to talk with real words; then whole phrases, and sentences. Then he will ABANDON 'babbling' for ever, when he realises the power of communication in words!

I do hope you don't worry and fret when that time comes.

scarednoob Sun 14-Aug-16 21:06:05

DD goes through days where we have strings of consonants and days of almost silence - the latter turned out to be when she's working on crawling or cruising. I bet your baby is working on something and it's taking up all his little brain smile

drspouse Sun 14-Aug-16 21:11:42

Ferguson gosh did you go on a course to learn to be patronising?

It's probably just that your DC is experimenting with one lot of sounds today, it will be another lot tomorrow.

If it goes on maybe see about checking hearing/ear infection?

magicboy79 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:15:53

Don't worry, it's still very early. My ds is turning 2 and has always babbled and is still babbling...no proper words, you maybe get one the very odd time (as in a word twice a week) but you don't hear it again. His understanding is very good.

It's hard not to worry but in a years time you will wonder why you worried

divafever99 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:21:39

Try not to worry op, 9 months is still very young. My DD is nearly 12 months and has only really just started to to babble, no words yet and has only just learned to clap.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Tue 16-Aug-16 15:54:47

DS (13 months) was the same at that age, and until this day in fact; babbled loudly and conversationally for a week or so, then stopped for a bit causing me to completely lose my shit and convince myself he'd never call me "mama". EVER.

As others have said it often coincides with focusing on a different skill, even if they don't actually master it in that time. I also found if DS is feeling a bit under the weather (teething for example) he's less adventurous with his noise-making, so fewer interesting consonants for example. Give it until he's 12 months at least but you'll probably see a pattern emerging and start to worry less when he has less vocal periods.

For what it's worth my little toe-rag still shows no interest in saying "mama", but he does utilise almost every other consonant whilst chatting away in his own little language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now