Autism behaviour concerns

(3 Posts)
Geordielass11 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:53:00

Hi,

My 3 year old son has recently been diagnosed with autism. He has started grabbing other children's heads and hair and seems to target the same girl in nursery. He is doing this more frequently along with nipping other children's arms. I'm not sure what (if anything) I can do to try and stop this or address this issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Msqueen33 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:55:13

Oh don't you just love quirky autism behaviour. I have two dc both with autism and youngest is three. The nipping kids arms could be a sensory thing or could be because he wants to play or engage and he doesn't know how so he nips to get some form of engagement. Similarly the issue with the hair. What have nursery put in place? Distraction is normally a good one. How's his language?

Geordielass11 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:04:47

Nursery have been great. They are trying distraction techniques and subtly moving him away without creating too much fuss. His language is ok. He's aware of what he's doing and states matter of factly that he's been naughty and knows what he is doing is wrong. So frustrating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now