Talk

Advanced search

push along walker

(10 Posts)
waitingforsomething Tue 02-Aug-16 04:04:56

Can anyone recommend a heavy/sturdy one? DS is 12.5 months and not yet walking although pulling up and cruising (he is a bum shuffler). We live abroad and have marble flooring so the walker we have goes along really fast. He's also really heavy (almost 12 kilo) so if he tries to push it just runs away and he hasn't got a hope of learning to push it steadily! DD had the vtech one which was great but we were in the UK with carpets then. Does anyone have a really good, more resistant one?

Stevefromstevenage Tue 02-Aug-16 04:22:33

There is a great v tech one ours all used

This one

Stevefromstevenage Tue 02-Aug-16 04:23:27

Damn I missed the floor covering bit.

CaitAgusMadra Tue 02-Aug-16 09:45:44

I know someone who put lots of elastic bands around the wheels of their walker to slow it down

GoBigOrange Wed 03-Aug-16 04:46:50

I too have a fairly hefty (10.5 kilo) bum-shuffling DS and while we don't have marble, we do have polished oak floors. We have the walker which Steve linked above and at first it did run away with DS, and it would also tip up when he tried to pull up on it.

I started looking around for a heavier version for him, DH however persevered and would help DS stand up behind it and would then crawl along clutching the edges of the thing so it wouldn't go so fast!

Fortunately DH didn't have to do that for long, because as DS got more competent at getting himself upright, and staying upright, and got more of a feel for the support the walker could give him he stopped leaning quite so much weight on the handle and it works perfectly for him now as a balance aid (rather than a crutch) and he trundles it round gleefully all the time.

So perhaps with a little time and help he may be able to get to grips with the one you already have.

Or if you really think you need something different, this is the one I almost got DS: toddler wobbler a friend's little boy has it, and I do think it is slightly less eager to get away from the pusher than the vtech.

Mol1628 Wed 03-Aug-16 06:33:10

IKEA toddle truck. It has rubber wheels and you can tighten them so it's steady on smooth floors.

Also both mine still love loading it with toys and pushing it around.

waitingforsomething Wed 03-Aug-16 06:58:06

Thanks for all your ideas. He can use the one we have if I push back against it a bit so perhaps he will get used to it soon like GoBigOrange's DS.
We are going to IKEA on Saturday in fact so perhaps I will pick a toddle truck up, thanks for the suggestion!

waitingforsomething Wed 03-Aug-16 07:00:31

is it the MULA one?

Tfoot75 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:09:57

We also have the ikea truck, you tighten or loosen the wheels to change pushing speed and it's fine on wooden floors. It does tip up however if weight is put on it to stand up - you need to put something heavy inside it to stop this happening, eg a small bag of sand wrapped up.

minipie Wed 03-Aug-16 15:56:29

We have wooden floors and used the vtech one. It did take a bit of time for DDs to learn how to stop it running away too fast but it worked pretty quickly.

DD2 also used to push various bits of lightweight furniture (eg Antilop highchair) around as a "walker" confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now