How to get a 3 year old to stay in bed?

(7 Posts)
DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Thu 28-Jul-16 20:57:08

Used to be an amazing self settler but now he's insecure we assume because of his new baby sister.

We're trying gradual withdrawal but it's a bit hard when he just wants to get out of bed and either lay on you or wander around the room. I have no idea how to get him to stay in bed short of restraining him and that's not going to make him feel better is it?

VioletBam Fri 29-Jul-16 08:35:49

I had this. I was hardline with it because I was working and had a baby too.

I stood there, repeatedly putting DD back in again. She'd shriek and stamp and jump out again.

I was stoic.

I'd not react at all apart from calmly saying "Bedtime now" from time to time.

Eventually she would give in. It would take around an hour of me doing that..sometimes less...maybe half an hour...but I only had to do it for a week and she realised that she had to go to bed.

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Fri 29-Jul-16 10:55:16

Hi Violet thanks for sharing your experience. I wish we could do that but just reading about it makes me feel exhausted! It's so hard when you're dealing with a baby too isn't it? Some days are more sleep deprived than others. Focusing on staying can would also be a challenge for both me and DP. How old was your baby when you did this?

VioletBam Fri 29-Jul-16 10:57:08

Well DD was 3 when DD2 was born so DD2 must have been a few months. 2 or 3 months I think.

I used to leave the baby with DH in order to concentrate on DD1...

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Fri 29-Jul-16 11:15:07

I meant staying CALM not staying can! See, sleep deprived grin

Sounds like the same ages here. Did your eldest have other behavioural issues at the time, was she playing up in the day too? Mine has been so much more challenging, another reason why energy is at a low ebb here.

VioletBam Fri 29-Jul-16 11:54:07

Yes...she was a bit of a nightmare! grin It will pass...is your three year old still napping?

DangerQuakeRhinoSnake Fri 29-Jul-16 12:24:28

Only in the car when we absolutely can't stop him. He's clearly not sleeping right at all at the moment.

Usually he's brilliant I just hope he remembers how to be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now