Talk

Advanced search

Big bottomed 8 year old

(3 Posts)
TheSconeOfStone Mon 25-Jul-16 16:39:14

My DD has been quite girl shaped for some time. She has a flat stomach and you can see her hip bones, hips are slim but her thighs are rounded. Her bottom is really quite big and she sometimes she seems to stick it out when she walks. She does have ASD and I think her gait is a bit odd at times. She is very tall and fit but slow to sprint (she gets upset that she is slower than other children), can run OK over longer distances. I mentioned her gait when she was assessed for ASD but consultant wasn't concerned. That was nearly 2 years ago now though.

Issues are that finding trousers and shorts to fit is difficult. Clothes hang at the waist but are tight on her bottom. I'm worried about teasing (this has already happened once) and I do wonder whether there is an issue with the way she walks. Could she actually have a spine problem or something causing her bottom sticking out? Feel silly asking the GP.

Cinnamal Mon 25-Jul-16 16:59:13

My 8 year old is exactly the same (as am I!) My friend is a physio and although she laughs at our bottom wriggling walk, she says it is harmless.

I also struggle to find shorts/jeans to fit my DD, I only buy ones with the adjustable waist but even then it's tricky. Luckily as I have the same problem myself I know what styles work and which don't. I spend quite a lot of time building her confidence so that we focus on how strong and healthy her body is, which will hopefully help if teasing ever comes her way.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 26-Jul-16 19:02:47

Cinnamal that's really reassuring thanks. DD is wearing some a-line short skirts at the moment that are comfy to run around in and look great.

I was a fat child and don't want my kids to go through the teasing that I went through. DD isn't fat but she is curvy already at 8. Growing far too fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now