Talk

Advanced search

number and letter games/toys

(4 Posts)
waitingforsomething Sun 24-Jul-16 02:40:14

My DD is a few months off 4 - she's very good with numbers and learning some letters too (mostly at pre-school overseas where they're a bit obsessed). She loves her threading beads with letters and numbers up to 20. I wonder if anyone can recommend any toys or games that involve letters and numbers that I can get her for her birthday? I'd like something that goes over the number 20 but would prefer a game or a toy rather than flashcards. Thanks!

fortifiedwithtea Sun 24-Jul-16 04:14:29

Orchard Games are brilliant. I recommend Pass The Word, simple rules and exciting, turns are played against an egg timer. Or Ladybirds played with a dice and involves adding small numbers at the end to find the winner.

TBH there is no point learning numbers beyond 20 without also knowing the meaning and value of the numbers. School will start with number bonds to 10.

waitingforsomething Sun 24-Jul-16 07:14:46

Thank you for that, I've had a look and found a few great looking games. Good idea!

Ferguson Sun 24-Jul-16 20:24:43

Also Duplo, jigsaw puzzles, colouring sheets and crayons. Child-safe scissors (with rounded ends) and junk mail to cut up, and stick in a scrap book.

If you can get UK TV, these are good:

www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/alphablocks

I also encourage children from two years upwards to have access to music-making equipment; if you can afford it, an electronic keyboard, with FULL SIZE keys, at least 61; so not a toy one.

Cheaper alternatives would be small percussion instruments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now