Talk

Advanced search

Baby proofing kitchen

(7 Posts)
jellymum1704 Wed 20-Jul-16 11:45:37

DS is 15 months old and has free access to the kitchen. I don't have safety gate there as yet. Recently he has started to turn the oven knobs on and reaching up the platform to grab things sticking out. I do make sure he's supervised but worried about times I leave him alone for a minute. Do you recommend a safety gate to the kitchen or is there a baby proofing option available for gas knobs and things like that?

suspiciousofgoldfish Thu 21-Jul-16 13:49:46

Yes you can get knob covers (snigger) for the hob, they are clear and fix over the knobs. You can buy them on Amazon.

Cooker guards are also good, they stop toddlers from being able to grab saucepans. Have a look on Amazon, there are loads there.

gamerchick Thu 21-Jul-16 13:52:17

Yep cover the knobs (or take them off until you get some.

I cleared out the lower cupboards and filled them with baby friendly stuff. Messy but gives more time before they get into mischief. Some prefer to drum it into them not to touch but I couldn't be bothered with all that. That comes later anyway.

gamerchick Thu 21-Jul-16 13:53:33

Get into the habit of pushing things right back on benches and turning pan handles towards the wall. Keep all flexes and wires pushed back so they can't be grabbed.

villainousbroodmare Thu 21-Jul-16 20:33:49

Very importantly, watch out for clothes washing detergent. The liquid tablets and liquid itself are brightly coloured, attractive to curious little kids, and very dangerous if ingested or if they go near eyes.

Doje Thu 21-Jul-16 20:38:47

I got a baby gate and am really pleased I did. It means DS can't go in there without me. Also means I can shut him out when doing something 'dangerous' like opening the oven or transferring a pan of boiling water across the kitchen to drain it (for example). They get so quick and in my (admittedly small) kitchen would hate for him to get under my feet and end up accidentally hurling boiling pasta water over him.

skankingpiglet Thu 21-Jul-16 22:12:45

Baby gate is the way forward. It's continued to be useful for 2.1yo DD1 who otherwise goes into the kitchen and helps herself to snacks...
WRT the hob we just kept telling her 'no, hot!' and keeping pan handles turned away from the edge/using back rings. By 18mo she had grasped what hot meant so no longer reaches for stuff on the hob. Still wouldn't leave her alone with pans going however...

We also put locks on the cupboards, but she figured out how to open them months ago sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now