Talk

Advanced search

bedtime drink for milk refuser

(3 Posts)
waitingforsomething Wed 20-Jul-16 02:20:06

DS is 12 months and we've had a struggle with milk ever since weaning. He took a couple of ounces out of a bottle morning and evening sometimes but now won't even do that, so we've given him cups and he is absolutely nothing! He makes a face like it's a cup of poison...He drinks water out of a number of cups so that's not the problem.
So, I think milk as part of his diet is pretty much over. He has milk on his cereal and other dairy/calcium offerings throughout the day.
My question is those with children that don't drink milk before bed, do you give them an alternative? He eats around 5 and has breakfast around 7am so it feels like a long time with nothing, but he won't have milk.
Do you offer rice/almond/soy milk or just water or nothing?

Lifeisontheup2 Wed 20-Jul-16 04:38:03

My daughter dislikes milk, has done since she stopped BFing at 11 months. I just gave her a drink of water and she was fine, always slept through the night and just had milk in the form of yogurts, cheese, porridge etc.

skankingpiglet Thu 21-Jul-16 22:28:01

DD1 dropped her bedtime milk at 16mo when we went cold turkey on the bottles, although weirdly she would still have her morning milk in a straw cup. I wasn't worried (and in fact her morning milk is, and bedtime milk was, almond milk from 12mo) because she has a yoghurt and some form of cheese most days, plus plenty of nut butters/avocado etc. Not having their milk isn't the end of the world as long as they are making up for it in the rest of their diet in calories and calcium.
She has dinner around 5.30-6pm, then lasts until a bottle of almond milk at 6am (helps with thirst, but won't fill her), and breakfast at 8am. She manages with that just fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now