Talk

Advanced search

DD(6) seems unable to "find" misplaced toys

(10 Posts)
Metalhead Thu 14-Jul-16 19:48:35

This evening DD (6) had another meltdown because she "couldn't find" one of her toys. It took me about a minute of looking to find said toy in one of her many boxes.

Is it normal at this age that she seems incapable of looking properly for things? As in, not just walk into a room and turn your head left and right once, but actually think about where something might be and look in/under stuff? I have no idea if I'm expecting too much or if she's just lazy and would rather get me to look for her.

leccybill Thu 14-Jul-16 19:51:17

Don't know about normal but my 6yo is exactly the same. Just got her report today and she's at Mastery in everything, but can she find her school shoes when they are 1ft in front of her face? Can she buggery.

orangepudding Thu 14-Jul-16 19:53:34

My husband usually finds within a couple of minutes what my children and I can't find in 15mins! Some people just can't see what's right in front of them.

Metalhead Thu 14-Jul-16 21:59:30

Glad it's not just us leccy! grin

Witchend Fri 15-Jul-16 09:24:04

Not only are my dc the same (15, 12 and 8) but so's dh.
I get:
"Mum! I can't find my ..."
"Have you looked in cupboard/on your floor/school bag (wherever it usually is)?"
"Yes, I've had everything out/checked totally."
I walk upstairs go and look in the place I'm describing and it not only is there but on top.
"It wasn't there earlier!"

With dh it's more often "Dw, have you seen my..." and when I've picked it up he says in a tone of puzzlement "I'm sure I looked there."
Although occasionally I've put this to good use when I've used something and forgotten to put it back. blush

Notso Fri 15-Jul-16 09:47:27

I had a favourite cuddly toy as a child. I 'lost' it at least twice a week and despite my best looking efforts I would have to ask my Mum who instantly found it under the cushion I'd just checked under.

Now I am a Mum of 4 and somehow the act of having children has given me the power of finding lost items. Even without looking,
"Mum where my shoe/book/teddy?"
"In the cupboard/on your bed/toy box"
"No it's not"
"Try moving things around"
"Oh yeah,thanks Mum"

Metalhead Fri 15-Jul-16 19:04:30

Thanks all, sounds like it's just one of those annoying things I'll have to learn to live with! smile

FlysInDreams Fri 15-Jul-16 19:16:06

Like this? grin

Metalhead Fri 15-Jul-16 21:55:14

Haha, exactly like that! grin

birdsdestiny Fri 15-Jul-16 22:00:07

It's absolutely fine at age six. It's really really irritating when it's a man of 43. But I am honestly not bitter about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now