10 month old just so difficult

(5 Posts)
AldrinJustice Wed 13-Jul-16 15:32:22

My DD is teething again (top 2 teeth coming out I can see them) but this time round it's just been so much more harder. As now I'm going back to work so won't be with her during the day for her to breastfeed (she soothes her teething pain with feeding) I just don't know what to do, teethers don't work, we have tried all the different teethers, tried all the teething powders, bonjela, gum massage etc.

Basically the only things that work besides breastfeeding are homemade ice lollies or chewing on cold fruit for maybe like 10mins of cold relief or if I dose her up to the max amount of nurofen and calpol which I don't want to do because I just don't feel right plying her with drugs but it seems like this has to be the only way if I'm not around. Any less of a dose just doesn't work.

On top of this she makes this awful moaning/grunting noise that drives me round the bend. My tolerance has been quite high but the sound of this noise gets me so worked up that if I'm on my own for the day I leave her in her cot and just walk out the room to get away from it for a while but I have to come back when she roars. I have family so I am grateful for when they take her as it gives me a break but for when they can't help out I just feel like I'm at breaking point.

Is there anything else I can give her or has anyone had any luck with any other pain relief? Also is it so bad to be giving a 10 month old that much calpol/nurofen? The box says don't continue for 3 days without prior consultation from a doctor but I don't know why that's necessary? I would like to stay away from them but I don't think it will work

HopeClearwater Wed 13-Jul-16 15:35:48

Would you put up with this pain yourself without taking paracetamol and / or ibuprofen? Give the kid some pain relief FGS.

Ohwoolballs Wed 13-Jul-16 15:39:38

I'm going through the first round of teething with my nearly 16 week old DS oh God, that moany winge!
I am going by the Calpol doctors message is if the child has a fever for more than three days, as in poorly sick territory, then you get them in at the docs.
I kept dithering about the Calpol but then my DP pointed out that when he has wisdom tooth pain he makes sure he's dosed up - why would we take the pain!

AldrinJustice Wed 13-Jul-16 18:10:10

hope I never said I don't give pain relief wtf? I said I don't want to give her the maximum dose of calpol and nurofen if there are other avenues to pain relief. Of course she gets some pain relief, read my post, FGS.

Thanks woolballs at least you feel my pain! I think it may be heading towards that route

hownottofuckup Wed 13-Jul-16 18:17:05

Apparently teething is the most painful thing we all go through in life, we just don't remember it in adulthood.
Mine had bonjela/calpol as and when they needed it.
It probably is kinder really then leaving her alone when she's in pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now