2yo DS hitting me when he doesn't get his own way

(5 Posts)
seefeld Fri 08-Jul-16 08:53:50

My 2yo DS has hit and scratched my face three times already today when he hasn't got his own way. It's really getting me down and I just don't know how to handle it and make it stop!

It's been happening for quite a long time now, at least 6 months, and we've tried a few things - showing him to stroke not scratch, telling him we don't scratch, putting him in his cot for time out - and none of it works. He will also pull my hair - sometimes, when I'm holding him, he'll grab my hair with both hands and pull it in opposite directions making it difficult for me to put him down. And it's so painful! These incidents can be triggered by all sorts of things - me wanting to change his nappy, saying no to his demands for an ice lolly or to watching TV. We thought it might get better now he's more verbal but I don't think it has as now he's able to ask for more things that I won't always agree to.

The scratches and slaps come out of nowhere - before the incident just now we were cuddled up on the sofa together watching one of his favourite programmes - so I don't necessarily have any warning signs either. And, when he's not being violent, he is a lovely boy - playful and affectionate, albeit very strong-willed! Has anyone been through this? Any advice you can give me? Is it normal or should I be seeking professional help with it?

seefeld Sat 09-Jul-16 18:37:46

Hopeful for some advice bump!

Mycrazyhead84 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:22:08

Hi seefeld,

I don't really have any advice but I didn't want to read and leave your post unanswered.

I'm on a similar situation with my son who is 2 years 6 months but it's all very new for us. Out of no where he has started hitting and kicking and just generally being a terror. He bit another child at nursery the other day and his key worker yesterday told me he has an attitude.

He's been very rude, shouty and aggressive and I just don't understand where it's coming from. Is your son the same in that respect or is it just the hitting?

MrsHogwallop Sun 17-Jul-16 16:28:47

Experienced same 6 months ago, now a distant memory, at the time it was painful, frustrating and emotionally very upsetting, hardest thing experienced as a parent to date. What I'd say now is that I learned there is a limit to what I could achieve by intervening, other friends with same issue agreed. Nothing made a difference, but I regretted it horribly when I raised my voice or put him in time out (tho we never judge anyone who did this for a 5 minute break). Have no fixes to offer but it will pass with time and what matters is how you survive it. The worst thing for me was thinking I had to do something to stop it. Sometimes that's not the case. Sorry for ramble.

Icecappedpinetrees Sun 17-Jul-16 19:58:49

Was just about to start a thread....

DS is such a lovely, gentle, sweet boy but he expects everything his own way all the time and if you dare to suggest otherwise he has started screaming. He never hits me, ever. But tonight out the blue - a smack after the scream. I knew he was annoyed, I knew he wanted something and I knew he was frustrated but I said no.

It's one thing I just won't tolerate. I'm pretty sad about the whole business to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now