Talk

Advanced search

my 29month old still doesnt talk

(12 Posts)
user1467910348 Thu 07-Jul-16 18:03:17

My son will be 3 in feb and his speech is really behind. He doesnt copy words that we encourage him to say and he only says under 10 words which he has said for the last year or more. He has had a hearing test and it came back that his hearing is fine. Is there anyone else who has experienced this or has any tips? We really try to encourage him all the time to speak but nothing seems to be working.
thanks, chloe

coffeemachine Thu 07-Jul-16 18:46:24

you need a proper Salt assessment.have you been referred? if not self refer.

Talking is only a tiny part of communication. does he actually under what you say? can he follow instructions? does he communicate otherwise such as pointing and bringing you stuff to show you?

any other developmental concerns or is it purely speech?

user1467910348 Thu 07-Jul-16 19:54:32

i have been told they wont do speech therapy until he was 2 and a half. he seems to understand most of what we say to him (as much as a 2year old does) He doesnt really point at things much at all.
He has always been ahead with physical development its just speech

SolsburyHell Thu 07-Jul-16 19:58:10

He needs a speech therapy assessment. Speak to your local hv and get him referred.

TooTweeOrNotTooTwee Thu 07-Jul-16 20:44:24

Has he had his two year check? Language development is quite a big part of that I think. He might need a hearing test too.

EssexMummy1234 Thu 07-Jul-16 21:59:03

are two languages spoken at home?

coffeemachine Fri 08-Jul-16 06:46:12

multiple languages do not delay s&l development. this is such an old chestnut.confused

user1467910348 Sat 09-Jul-16 16:14:21

He has had a hearing test and it came back clear. he has also had a 2year check and they picked up on his speech but nothing had been done since.

Knightridergirl Mon 11-Jul-16 09:23:20

OP, one thing I was told which I hope helps you is that children who tend to speak late tend to have more to say!
My DS is 26 months and also is lacking in the speech department, physically he is very active and I have no concerns otherwise.
We've locked away the ipad for the last four weeks and we have seen a significant increase in his speech; lack of ipad means he will have to communicate more with us through play with all the other hundred thousand toys he owns!
We're now also planning to shut off the TV a couple hours earlier each evening and sit and play with him before bedtime.
I work full time and DH looks after DS during the day but works nights; so the lack of contact with other children has stunted his speech development I feel but I'm apprehensive to leave him at any day nurseries due to the fact he CAN'T talk!

ceara Mon 11-Jul-16 11:06:01

OP, my DS is the same age as yours and until 2 months ago had half a dozen spoken words. He's now speaking in sentences. So the first thing to say is that some children really are "just" late talkers and catch up fast once they find their words - so stay positive! However, it's impossible to tell for sure which children will catch up without help and which would benefit from early intervention, which I think makes early intervention important for all.

I really recommend checking whether you can self refer to SLT services in your area. Round here, the HVs guidelines and practice are to refer children a year later than the SLT's own guidelines suggest - why, is a mystery to me but we duly self-referred DS to SLT, and he was assessed and offered 1-2-1 SLT. You can generally phone or download referral forms online. The wait fir an assessment can be several months or more (16 weeks here) with a similar wait for any follow-up or therapy.

I also highly recommend the Hanen book "It Takes Two to Talk". SLT at this age will be more about supporting you and anyone else who cares for DS to communicate with him in ways which will best help him - and giving you confidence that you're doing your best for him. This book is a great resource for learning techniques to help, if private SLT is out of the question.

It's counterintuitive but regarding "encouraging" him to speak, don't push him to talk - observe, wait, listen (OWL), create opportunities and model what he might say but avoid pressure.

Makaton or other supported signing is also worth looking into. It really helped our son, and was advocated by every SLT (NHS and independent) for speech delayed toddlers. It's not just that it's a means to communicate basic needs and ease the frustration, it also helps with getting the idea of back and forth interaction/conversation, which is a basic building block for speech.

2nds Mon 11-Jul-16 11:06:54

Does he need grommets?

NickyEds Tue 12-Jul-16 15:36:23

When you say he doesn't really point to things what exactly do you mean? If you say "can you find the cat?" when looking at a book will he fi do the cat. Will he point at things of interest for instance my ds will point at every truck that goes past? If he wants a drink or snack what does he do? Have you done the M CHAT test?

My ds is 2.7 years and has delayed speech. I'm not totally sure how many words he has but it's not very many and they are unclear. Just before he turned two I went to a SALT drop in and he was assessed, they said to return in 3/4 months, we did and he was assessed again, then a therapist went to ds's pre school to watch him there and we are starting SALT tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now