How much do I feed baby?

(20 Posts)
YourNewspaperIsShit Tue 05-Jul-16 13:39:29

DS is 4-5 months and I've started giving him the food pouches to try, he absolutely loves them (literally would eat 2-3 in a row if allowed per meal) but I have no idea how much to give him? He's still drinking formula all day. He has always eaten a lot as he is a big baby so I know he'll probably want more than what is normal but I don't want to over-do it.

My health visitor never comes round and Google was no help. How much pouch/tin food would you give your baby?

NickyEds Tue 05-Jul-16 21:05:44

Is he 4 or 5 months? In all honesty I don't think they need food so young so I'd just give milk. Milk should certainly represent the vast majority of his calories for a few months yet. Can he sit up in a high chair properly? Can he puck up food and negotiate it into his own mouth?

dontpokethebear Tue 05-Jul-16 21:08:12

I would give him extra or bigger milk feeds. He really shouldn't be having solid food until he can sit in a highchair unaided.

dontpokethebear Tue 05-Jul-16 21:08:54

Sorry nicky, slight cross post.

vichill Tue 05-Jul-16 21:12:16

i think a pouch is too much at that age. early weaning should be a time to practise chewing and swallowing, developing hand to mouth coordination,learning to gag and trying to new flavours. ime meals and dropping milk feeds aren't really a concern until 9mos +

Artandco Tue 05-Jul-16 21:13:30

Sorry, at 4 months he shouldn't be having any food apart from milk.

They shouldn't have any food until 6 months old

At 6/7 months old as an idea mine would eat a few little spoons of porridge for breakfast.

You need to increase his milk feeds. At 4 months mine were suddenly hungry, so they were breastfed every 90 mins-2 hrs in the day

Daytona79 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:13:43

I would give him extra milk if hungry and leave food for another 6-8 weeks at least

JackieAndHyde4eva Tue 05-Jul-16 21:17:14

Food is for fun until 1.

Milk should be providing all his calorie intake until 6 months old and most of his calorie intake until 1 year. Food from 6 months is only to give him an introduction to taste and textures. It isnt for calories and shouldnt be used to replace milk or

JackieAndHyde4eva Tue 05-Jul-16 21:17:33

Or add extra weight.

NerrSnerr Tue 05-Jul-16 21:18:07

If he's hungry I would give more milk. Could you go to the weigh in clinic to see the health visitor?

YourNewspaperIsShit Tue 05-Jul-16 21:50:03

Sorry he isn't additionally hungry I was just introducing it for fun, I was just wondering what would be classed as too much. I've not worded it very well. This is for tastes/textures and because he likes it.

He is closer to 5 months but hasn't reached it yet.

He can sit in a high chair unaided for the most part (not for a long period of time) and put food and items in his own mouth himself. He can chew and swallow, I've never given him anything that wasn't smooth though.

All the stuff he's tried has had '4 months' on it?

YourNewspaperIsShit Tue 05-Jul-16 21:51:11

He definitely doesn't need extra weight he's a very big baby lol, he hasn't been weighed for a couple of weeks but he was 1st 7lbs

YourNewspaperIsShit Tue 05-Jul-16 21:53:50

vichill I haven't dropped any milk feeds at all sorry if the post wasn't clear

artlessflirt Tue 05-Jul-16 22:14:17

We started baby led weaning at 6 months and we have always followed baby's lead - when she's finished she generally decides to start sweeping everything off her high chair!

In my opinion babies don't need anything but milk until 6 months. I can understand you're keen to start weaning and having fun with food, but I'd advise you to wait and just keep offering milk feeds.

user1467554098 Sat 09-Jul-16 14:21:13

I think if you want to introduce foods to your baby do so! It's your baby! When my baby gets to that age I'll have to judge whether to do the same as you but I'd definitely consider it.. To answer your original question j have no idea wink

Pinklemonade16 Tue 12-Jul-16 09:29:03

If you want to give your baby food then do it. Really annoys me on here when you ask a question and people start saying you can't do this and that angry

Popskipiekin Tue 12-Jul-16 09:43:26

OP I believe the packs have 4 months+ on them because you can give from 4 months+ with advice from a health care professional to wean early, but most people recommend not to wean before 6 months or - as PPs have said - until baby can sit in highchair unaided, hold his head steady and has some hand/eye/mouth coordination.

It is totally up to you, but quite frankly I found it enough of a faff having to prepare purees from 6 months for my baby, especially if we were going out, and I would just enjoy the ease of giving only milk for another month or so if I were you grin.

Maybug12 Thu 14-Jul-16 00:39:23

My baby is 4 months old and I've just started to introduce the food pouches to him just for taste and texture same as you but also because he suffers every now and then from constipation and a bit of fruit or veg is a good way to get his bowels moving and regular. I haven't replaced any of his milk but give him a pouch as more of an added extra once a day, every few days. For example I will give him a pouch at feeding time but will drop his milk by a couple of ounces otherwise it would be too much. The rest of the day I will give him the usual amount of milk he would normally have.
It's YOUR baby and you know how you feel about it. It's only a guideline... my baby is showing signs of readiness to be weaned, he's also huge and looks about 7 months old anyway so if I was ever giving him solids I'm public no one would think twice anyway!
Who's anyone else to judge! Everyone's babies are different.

user1467554098 Thu 14-Jul-16 10:29:54

Agreed pink angry

misstweedyweedy Thu 14-Jul-16 10:45:52

My ds is 7 months and has a teaspoon or two of some sort of food and a nibble of a piece of broccoli / toast / salmon etc 2 -3 times a day. I don't bother buying pouches as they just end up in the bin. So I would say be led by him, but maybe give the HV a call I'm sure you can chat about it with them if you call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now