Talk

Advanced search

My 7 week old slept for 7 hours straight last night!

(11 Posts)
daisywhoopsie Mon 04-Jul-16 08:27:48

Been doing bath and bed at the same time every night and it's really starting to pay off!

Boring thread I know but it's not really something I can share in real life (other than with DP, who is also over the moon of course)!

NC with my family, DP's family aren't big on routine so claim he's just an 'easy baby' (I'm sure he is but I still want to feel proud of us both). I also know the majority of my friends with children are really struggling with sleep at the moment, wouldn't want to make them feel any worse so I've come to share the news with you lot!

Boring post, over and out.

Lweji Mon 04-Jul-16 08:30:33

Not sure about being proud, but you should definitely be happy. smile

Just don't get cocky. Babies change very quickly. Not to put a dampen on it, it's just that if when it happens you don't feel bad about it.

Tumtitum Mon 04-Jul-16 08:36:17

I echo the above! DD was 12 weeks when I had a conversation with someone about routines being rubbish as DD only woke once in the night and had no routine... Then literally overnight she was back to frequent wakings and refusing to nap!! confused really really enjoy it and cross everything that it lasts!! (And it might!)

Imnotaslimjim Mon 04-Jul-16 08:43:00

I remember that feeling well! DS was 8 weeks when he slept through, and 12 weeks when he slept 7-7 (frightened the life out of me, didn't want to look in the cot!) we we're extremely lucky with him, the only time he didn't sleep 12 hours was when he was ill.

DD however, other than 7 hours a night for one week at about 5 months old, lulling us into a false sense of security, she didn't sleep through until she as 3yo

daisywhoopsie Mon 04-Jul-16 08:43:16

I've heard things can take a rather dramatic turn for the worse at as early as 8 weeks (so I'm definitely making the most of it as it may only last another week)!

It's just so disheartening when you put the effort in (I appreciate doing bath and bed at the same time every night isn't exactly strenuous but still), it seems to be paying off and everyone just wants to put a downer on it. (That's not referring to your comments, I mean the comments I've had in real life).

daisywhoopsie Mon 04-Jul-16 08:46:34

Haha! I can definitely relate, slimjim. He's been getting a lot more sleep than me as I'm very busy waking up every time he makes even the faintest of noises to make sure he's alright... I vaguely remember being a fairly relaxed person once upon a time smile

waitingforsomething Mon 04-Jul-16 09:20:27

Happy days smilesmile dd did 8 hours at 8 weeks and 12 hours at 12 weeks and never woke up again apart from illness.
Ds took 8 months to sleep through and woke every two hours till then! Enjoy

uhoh2016 Wed 06-Jul-16 04:09:23

I was a big fan of the bedtime routine and all 3 of my dc were great sleepers. You'll have the odd times when they are ill or teething that it will go to pot, but I think If you stick to your routine most of the time it will work

daisywhoopsie Wed 06-Jul-16 18:00:04

That's great to hear uhoh! I'll definitely persevere smile

Binglesplodge Thu 07-Jul-16 23:08:34

Enjoy! Please don't be disheartened if things change in a week or a month or at some random time when you're not expecting it!

I know what you mean about feeling proud and like people are putting a damper on it for you. It does feel like an accomplishment when your child sleeps. But it's likely not because of your special routine. I guarantee you the parents of babies who don't sleep also have bedtime routines. My DS had a quiet relaxing bath, baby massage, gentle song and story, then last feed every single night from a few weeks old. He didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a stretch until he was 10 months.

Nobody's trying to dent your entirely justifiable delight at getting a good chunk of sleep: I think they just might be feeling a bit defensive if they are also "putting the effort in" but not getting any sleep.

Hope it's another quiet night for you: sleep all you can!

CointreauVersial Thu 07-Jul-16 23:13:39

DS also slept through from 7 weeks, and it stayed that way, so maybe you'll be lucky. The first night he did it was Christmas Eve - his little gift to me!

All three of mine have always been great sleepers, thank goodness. Of course, now they're teens I can't get the buggers out of bed. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now