Talk

Advanced search

need strength to cope!

(7 Posts)
needcoffee22 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:30:37

I have a 4 week old baby, my baby has silent reflux - now on medication and it does some to get better.

However, do 'normal' baby's cry and fuss on and off in the evening?

I'm a first time mum - I don't know what's normal, what's reflux, what's wind etc.

Or any time - sometimes I just can't seem to understand what's happening and it's very stressful.

I'm wishing the weeks away with this much wanted baby.

albertcampionscat Wed 29-Jun-16 16:34:20

Yes. It is called the witching hour.

needcoffee22 Wed 29-Jun-16 16:53:13

The witching hour is horrid. When does said witching hour 'f' off?

Any advice about how to get through it would be appreciated.

I have heard it is down to wind?

Gripe water was suggested.

Greypuddle Wed 29-Jun-16 16:58:56

You're in the eye of the storm right now. It does get better but I think it's a cruel trick of nature that before we've had time to work out what to do with a baby, we get given newborns! It's so hard. As above, evenings are the hardest. Give your baby as thorough and as firm as winding as possible (within reason obv!) is my best and only advice. It is tough and you're not alone. Congratulations though flowers

Newtobecomingamum Wed 29-Jun-16 18:56:19

Could your baby have colic? Both my babies did and one had reflux too. Tips to help:
Wind as much as possible and do (infacol baby massage YouTube video) x 5 times a day.
White noise - type in baby colic white noise and play the video of the bay sitting on the half moon is ten hours long. Have it up loud but speaker from phone not facing baby's ears. Nothing night not happen for a good 20mins but this stuff is magic! Persevere and keep trying!
Dummy - get a dummy! I know some people are against it but hell it works and comforts the baby! If baby doesn't take to it keep trying.
If needs be get the buggy/pushchair on a towel or mat in the living room with lights out and push backwards and forwards and continue on with the white noise going and eventually baby will fall asleep. Once in a deep sleep transfer to baby's bed. We play the white noise all night, but up up you. Take it in turns with your partner and lee swapping so you can have a break.
Have a BREAK - you cannot do it all on your own and need a break during the crying/fussing. Get family if possible and partner to take it in turns. Have a bath, go for a drive or read a mag in your bedroom.
You must stay strong and you will get through this. Right now it doesn't feel like it and feels crap. Colic can let up to 3m and just stop just like that! Literally one night both my babies stopped just like that! I promise it gets better. Hang in there OP flowers

Newtobecomingamum Wed 29-Jun-16 18:58:17

Sorry for all the errors my tiny old phone is so slow and auto text not helping!

minipie Wed 29-Jun-16 19:03:15

Yes it's normal. Best theory IMO is that it's because they are tired, possibly overtired. So you could try bringing bedtime forward, or getting an extra nap in somewhere. Usually improves by 10 weeks ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now