Talk

Advanced search

When did you stop helping with toothbrushing?

(5 Posts)
InsaneDame Sun 19-Jun-16 20:27:32

Ds1 is 7yo and although he brushes his teeth without any assistance in the morning I still like to keep a close eye on his evening brushing - even doing it for him some evenings. I'm not happy he does it as well as he needs to and I'm paranoid about cavities etc but should I just take a step back and let him get on with it?

Grizzer Sun 19-Jun-16 21:23:31

My dentist recommends helping until they are 10! He's pretty strict though - new toothbrush every month, flossing twice a day (I only do it at night blush) etc. My dd is 6 & I help her at night but not in the morning, unless yelling 'get a move on or we'll be late for school' counts as helping grin

RiverTam Sun 19-Jun-16 21:25:44

My dentist recommends doing your children's teeth for as long as they'll let you, definitely till 11. DD is 6, she has a go then we do them properly.

megletthesecond Sun 19-Jun-16 21:28:49

Still supervising or actually doing most of 9yo ds's brushing. He's not too bad really, and he knows to floss most days, but I'm still more thorough than he is so keep tabs on how he's doing it.

InsaneDame Sun 19-Jun-16 21:30:21

Ok, I will carry on helping him then - my mum was shocked when she found out I was still doing them for him at 4yo so wondered if it was normal....

He is quite happy for me to do them - he us quite a lazy lad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now