Talk

Advanced search

5 yo DD with massive problem with clothes

(7 Posts)
rachndan Fri 17-Jun-16 11:21:51

Hi

Our 5 yo DS has a melt down when getting dressed, either her socks dont feel right (so have to be inside out) or her leggings are too tight (they are 1-2 years older in size than she is), or her top doesnt feel right, or she wants the label cut out of her t-shirt.

Her dad was the same with the label thing as a kid but not the rest.

I have googled it but all results that come up are to do with sensory processing disorder but she doesnt have any of the other issues related to that disorder.

We are reaching breaking point with her though because although she apologises for being "silly" afterwards (and then wears the clothes) it happens daily.

She loves to be in pyjama shorts and t-shirt, perhaps as they are a bit looser. But the little darling is rapidly becoming a pain in the backside!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 17-Jun-16 11:31:44

Honestly, clothes are so poorly made alot of the time amd mostly made of polyester that it's perfectly believable that they are found irritating.

Dd 1 has eczema so alot of stuff is eitger itchy or uncomfortable.

she wo t wear anytbing besides leggins/shorts and t shirts.

labels often need cutting our. she has seam free boyshort pants. she won't wear tights or jeans aside from.skinny jeans. no adjusting waists as the buttons dig in. no scalloped/lacy trims.

I have to say I find labels and those ribonny things on the shoulders that you use to hang them.up with immensely irritate. I hate sleeves.

maybe try some. pure cotton clothes. and source seam free items where possible

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 17-Jun-16 11:39:01

HPs , high sensitivity , is an option, and don't forget it's a spectrum, where not all aspects will be visible and some may hardly be there.

Soft, pure cotton, pre washed, with no conditioner and non biological stuff ( we use surcare) can help. Sympathy. We struggled too and still struggle, uniform a nightmare.

StarOnTheTree Fri 17-Jun-16 12:10:17

DD3 (9) is the same and I wish I had some advice for you OP but I don't sad She cuts labels out herself now and I find them around the house. Tights are not acceptable and seams are a problem. Everything feels funny and she's wearing threadbare socks because they're the only set that feel ok.

In addition to all the stuff you mentioned DD3 is very tall and very skinny and absolutely detests shopping so she's rapidly running out of clothes. We're fortunate in that school isn't strict about uniform so she gets away with wearing leggings. Only one pair left though and we can't find more sad

DD1 went through the same thing and things got better when she went into adult sized clothes because there is a lot more choice then.

ChipStix Fri 17-Jun-16 12:19:05

Mine went through this too. I just tried to accommodate her as much as was feasible - she wore soft joggers and t shirts, soft trainers and socks for a while. They do grow out of it

BarbarianMum Fri 17-Jun-16 12:59:06

Following my first brush with gout I am currently having a crash course in what 'increased sensitivity' feels like. Currently very aware of any seam or fold or tuck or tightening of anything on my left foot. Whilst not painful these things just feel so, so wrong and I can't seem to ignore it. Living like this must be pretty difficult, so I'd accommodate it where you can and try to keep calm about it all in the hope that it does go away with age. It's certainly been an eye-opener for me, much more sympathetic to BiL's horror of getting sand on his feet now (he has HFA).

Fairylea Fri 17-Jun-16 13:03:16

I am like this and my son has asd and hates clothes full stop, he would be naked if he could!

I would just cut all labels out of everything, wash everything in non bio or do a rinse wash after bio wash, look for everything 100 per cent cotton and get everything baggy.

I absolutely HATE labels, they feel like pin pricks against my skin. My mums the same actually and so is my dd, she is very clothes sensitive and I don't think she ever wore jeans until age 12 as they were too scratchy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now