Talk

Advanced search

Milk suddenly not enough for three-month old

(13 Posts)
ACubed Tue 14-Jun-16 18:36:40

Hi All,
I'm a bit stressed at the moment - since yesterday evening my breastmilk just doesn't seem as much, and my three month old seems to feed then get agitated. Yesterday evening (same day as his second lot of jabs) he started crying in a way I've never seen before, really howling which he doesn't usually do. I assumed it was start of fever so gave him some Calpol, then he finally settles enough to feed then fell asleep.
But today the same thing has been happened - really howling then refusing the breast, but I could see he was starving. I just caved and gave him some of the emergency formula for the first time, and I'm really gutted as I thought I was doing well with the breastfeeding. That calmed him down completely, and he then breastfed (but only after letdown). He can't seem to wait for letdown, just gets really upset.
Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a growth spurt? It has really stressed me out, tears all round.
Any ideas really appreciated
Thanks

albazavi Tue 14-Jun-16 19:04:48

My 10 week old does this in the evening if he's overtired. Tries to feed, is desperately hungry but then takes a few gulps and screams on the boob.

I have to rock and sing and have white noise whilst feeding to calm him down. Standing/ rocking with feeding can help as well. I went through a stage of thinking it was awful colic/ my milk was poisoning him but now realise it's just tiredness.

BluePitchFork Tue 14-Jun-16 19:07:00

it is enough. it's just a phase where the gut adjusts. you will soon get dirty nappies less often smile

OpposableThumbs2 Tue 14-Jun-16 19:11:12

DD2 had second jabs yesterday and has been out of sorts ever since. Feeding and sleeping has gone a bit haywire. I'm just offering the breast often, giving lots of cuddles and assuming that it will pass in a day or so.

Waterlemon Tue 14-Jun-16 19:19:36

It is enough!

Babies have a huge growth spurt around 3-4 months (which is why people mistakenly weaned babies at that age in past generations)

All you ever need to know about bf is here at www.kellymom.com

This might be useful - kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

I struggled to feed ds1 and was often misinformed we made it to 20 weeks but it was one long struggle. With ds2 I did my own research, found kellymom and a local bf advisor and trusted my instincts more. We made it 9 months!

GipsyDanger Tue 14-Jun-16 19:25:44

I've got the same with my 3 month ds. Everyone is telling me to add rusk to milk. He's ebf at the moment

Flisspaps Tue 14-Jun-16 19:36:22

Feed, feed, feed. Your milk is plenty. Don't worry. No need for formula smile

ACubed Wed 15-Jun-16 10:20:10

Hi All, thanks for the replies. I just really feel it is hunger, because if I offer the breast once milk has started flowing, he's fine, and calms down with a bottle too - he's started sleeping much more at night and my breasts don't seem as full, especially the right one which I can never seem to pump any milk out of, just a few drops.
It's like he has lost the patience to wait until letdown, and starts howling if milk isn't flowing immediately, and really works himself up.
Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I think I'll pop into the baby clinic on Friday.
It's so nice to have an online forum to discuss these things, none of my close friends have babies and my mum's an old hippy and would probably suggest some nonsense smile

BertrandRussell Wed 15-Jun-16 10:22:59

"I've got the same with my 3 month ds. Everyone is telling me to add rusk to milk. He's ebf at the moment"

Please, please don't do that!

WalkThePlank0 Wed 15-Jun-16 10:24:48

I know it's tough. But please try and trust your body. There's no reason it wouldn't suddenly be making enough milk. It's probably a growth spurt or development leap. Hang on in there. This too shall pass.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Wed 15-Jun-16 10:31:31

Also it's natural for your breasts to feel less full as they get better at regulating supply. Could you try offering every couple of hours so hopefully feeding before he gets so hungry? You could also try massaging your breaststroke before a feed so the let down happens quicker to get him over the impatient stage.

Offering formula will ultimately lead to your supply decreasing so is counterproductive, however it isn't poison so if it works for you? Could you see a health visitor or go to a breastfeeding cafe (support session run by qualified peer supporters) for some support and advice?

MachiKoro Wed 15-Jun-16 10:35:49

Kelly mom website is great, I second that recommendation.
Do you have the opportunity to just get into bed with baby and stay there all day? (I mean, is he your first, or do you have other responsibilities?)
It's a good idea to just rest, offer him milk as often as you can, the extra sucking will promote milk production. Make sure you drink and eat as much as you can.
Mine had a growth spurt around this age, and again around 4mo, but I remember what hard work it was. Take care of yourself flowers

peaceloveandtwirlywoos Wed 15-Jun-16 10:59:06

Take a couple of days to stay at home with your boobs out and whack him on whenever he likes, to build up your supply. He is probably having a growth spurt and needs more milk, so he needs to increase your supply by feeding more often.
Your milk definitely is enough. If you start replacing feeds with formula or anything else, your breasts will take that as a signal not to produce as much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now