Talk

Advanced search

How do I get my 8 week old baby to stay asleep?

(6 Posts)
TheWrongAlice Mon 13-Jun-16 19:08:06

DS2 is 8 weeks, sleeps well enough at night (roughly 11 hours with 3 feeds, straight back to sleep after each), but during the day struggles to stay asleep longer than 45 mins and is therefore super grumpy and grizzly because exhausted. When she wakes I am getting her back to sleep but it takes ages so I feel I am spending all day rocking/shushing and I'm getting nothing done. If I let her sleep in my arms she will stay asleep but i also have DS1 and house to run so not really an option.

Any advice? Shee needs a dummy to still herself - she is very very physical - always squirming and throwing her arms and legs around esp when tired. Sucking stops that. Dummy falls out though soon as she falls asleep then she wakes at end of first sleep cycle...

Skiptonlass Mon 13-Jun-16 20:51:41

Sounds like a very normal, actually very good, sleeper! Mines 8 months and won't do more than half an hour, day or night...

Perhaps try more, shorter, day naps? They tend not to have longer naps until they are older and it's very normal to just nap for 45 mins at that age. Look at awake times (there are charts online) and put them back down X minutes after last nap?

dementedma Mon 13-Jun-16 20:54:33

Bwa ha haaaaaa!
Baby? Sleeping? Please explain this alien concept
Battle hardened mother of 3 non sleepers here.
Disclaimer, I realise this is not remotely helpful

Davinaaddict Mon 13-Jun-16 21:11:50

If she sleeps in your arms, I'd recommend a trip to a sling library. Try some out, and get advice on which type may suit you. Baby will sleep during the day and you will have hands free to do what you need to do. Very jealous of 11 hours at night though! Neither of mine slept that well over night and 4yo DD still doesn't

TheWrongAlice Tue 14-Jun-16 09:58:32

Skiptonlass I think maybe she's just 'waking yo' into the world at 8 weeks and it's a bit overwhelming / up until now she has always napped at least two hours at a time... I wouldn't mind shorter naps but for the fact that she is still tired and therefore just cries until she falls asleep again...

Davinaaddict I have a cocoon sling and a babybjorn, she used to sleep in the cocoon until one time I felt like she couldn't breathe, where her head was to her chest, and it freaked me out.

Also she was wide awake for an hour after her 4am feed for the first time ever - I think maybe she is just becoming more aware of her surroundings and hopefully will settle back to sleeping more peacefully in a few days.

TheWrongAlice Tue 14-Jun-16 09:58:59

*waking up!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now