Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how to help flat head syndrome?

(11 Posts)
anotherdayanotherdinner Sat 04-Jun-16 19:54:35

My ds is 19 weeks old and has quite a flat head. We've tried tummy time, moving his head to look the other way when he's asleep and changing his position though out the day. It seems a little better but I was wondering if anyone has tried the sleepcurve mattress and if it works?

BrightandEarly Sun 05-Jun-16 10:50:58

My advice would be, unless it's extreme, not to worry about it too much. Both mine had flat heads at some point as a baby but grew out of it.

I do recall changing the position of their crib every now and then to encourage them to lie facing the other way.

Newtobecomingamum Mon 06-Jun-16 23:14:07

Hi, in purchased sleep curve mattress and have been using it for 2 weeks now and can see no difference sad
Is the flathead on side of back of head?

Newtobecomingamum Mon 06-Jun-16 23:15:24

I've tried repositioning and it hasn't helped. Going to give it two more weeks and if not will get the helmet as recommended by private consultant.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 06-Jun-16 23:25:19

Try not to worry but I use the clevamama pillow for all mine, they love it once they get old enough to become attached and my first had a slightly flat head which prompted me to try it. I used it from birth for #2 and #3 and neither have a flat head. Don't think it's the only reason but can't do any harm. They have them on Amazon.

anotherdayanotherdinner Wed 08-Jun-16 15:03:12

Thanks all, it's the side of his head. Since day 1 he has laid looking to his right. He can face the other way so in not worried about any neck probs. He's getting better at repositioning himself though. I'll have a look at the clevermama one, thank you.

Children eh, always something to worry about!! X

anotherdayanotherdinner Wed 08-Jun-16 15:05:01

I've not heard many positive reports of the helmet. Have you tried speaking to gp or hv (if yours is any good!) before you spend that much money? X

Tryingtowait Wed 08-Jun-16 17:20:02

Hi I don't know where you are located but my ds now 3.5 years had plagiocephaly quite badly when he was younger, luckily as I live in Devon they said they could refer me to frenchaye hospital in Bristol where we got the helmet for free. It's slightly different to the traditional one you pay for but works the same. My sons helmet was ugly looking tbh but for free can't complain! He went from having what they described as severe plagiocephaly to mild before his soft spot closed up.

Now at 3 years old I can see his ears are slightly misaligned and still slightly flat on the left side but nothing like it was. Previous he had a complete diamond shape head with his forehead sticking out at the left and the back sticking out on the right. Anyway I can notice his head but people who he meets never notice it if I don't mention it. I guess it all depends on the severity of it and where you are in the world and if you're not able to get to Bristol whether you're willing to pay.

calamityjam Wed 08-Jun-16 17:26:55

tryingtowait, your story is identical to that of my nephew. He had very severe plagiocephaly and was treated successfully on the NHS at a clinic in Harrogate. The results have been amazing to be honest. He had problems with his neck muscles on one side and my sister had to do physio with him 3times each day. I would recommend the helmets for children with severe plagio/brachiocephaly but mild will usually cure itself once the child is sitting up.

BertrandRussell Wed 08-Jun-16 17:28:41

If he can move his head and neck normally, you don't have to do anything- it gets better by itself. If he does have any stiffness and restricted movement,net referred to a pediatrician,

HolisticMama13 Sun 12-Jun-16 00:41:42

Clever mama cot mattress! Bloody fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now