Talk

Advanced search

17mo got really upset at facial expression - normal?

(7 Posts)
GrassW1dow Fri 03-Jun-16 09:47:47

17mo DS was on DH's lap helping DH unwrap his birthday presents. I was sitting facing them.
DS tears off a bit of wrapping paper but accidentally flings his arm/hand back into DH's face (because I imagine he applied greater force to tearing the paper than was warranted).
DH moves head back instinctively and blinks and rubs his eyes etc. I look concerned (and must frown) and ask if he is ok.
After a few seconds, we establish everything ok.
In the meantime, DS's (who is looking at me) lower lip starts quivering and within another few seconds he starts bawling and is very hard to console.
Is this normal that a baby would get so upset at a slight change of tone (I imagine he heard concern and seriousness in my voice) and my concerned, serious expression?

plimsolls Fri 03-Jun-16 09:50:56

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Are you asking is it normal for a 17 month old to be upset because he (accidentally) hit his dad in the face and visibly hurt him?

If so, yes. Completely normal.

He was showing empathy and care, and also probably the ability to think slightly ahead and worry he'd get into trouble. All developmentally normal for his age.

plimsolls Fri 03-Jun-16 09:51:41

(And yes, some of the cues for this he would have picked up from your face and tone).

GrassW1dow Fri 03-Jun-16 09:55:01

Thanks. Yes, that's broadly what I was asking. I was just surprised because DS hadn't seen that he'd hurt (or potentially hurt his dad) because he was on his dad's lap and didn't turn round to see his dad flinch back. DS was looking at me.

0hCrepe Fri 03-Jun-16 09:56:55

Yes babies are extremely responsive to facial expression even from birth.

lornathewizzard Fri 03-Jun-16 10:00:19

From about 15mo my DD started doing the quivery lip wobble thing. Could be anything, her Gran telling her not to eat a crayon, we were all looking at her one day over dinner, her aunt shouting at the dog!
Just another way of reacting I think. Nothing a quick cuddle won't fix.
Oh, and she's worse when she's tired. Much less wobbly now at 22mo.

heron98 Fri 03-Jun-16 14:47:57

My niece, aged 8 months, almost knocked a glass off the table. All the adults instinctively made an intake of breath. She was inconsolable! I think they pick up on emotions more easily than we realise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now