Talk

Advanced search

Helping child through divorce - play therapy?

(4 Posts)
girlwithagruffalotattoo Mon 30-May-16 23:12:27

I have recently split with my ex partner and DD (5) is taking it badly, understandably. She is very angry, very sad, not coping with things very well, if the slightest little thing happens she flies off the handle, cries and then if we're out she just wants to come home.

I just want to help her through this, I've been thinking about play therapy, has anyone's child done it and found it helpful?

girlwithagruffalotattoo Wed 01-Jun-16 09:51:10

Anyone?

LetLoveWin Wed 01-Jun-16 09:54:39

I have a relative who works in the art therapy field and it's excellent for helping children express emotions without needing words. Broadly speaking, they play and create with the materials on offer and the therapist comments on what they do. You can find out more on the British Association of Art Therapists website www.baat.org/

starpatch Wed 01-Jun-16 19:29:43

we are seeing a child psychotherapist and finding it helpful (its play therapy with me there she also chats to me). Found someone from this website www.childpsychotherapy.org.uk I'd recommend shopping around a bit some of them wanted to see me every week for a year which would have been extortionate. They were all willing to have a quick chat on the phone to see whether they would be likely to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now