Talk

Advanced search

Flat head syndrome

(17 Posts)
Pinklady856 Sun 29-May-16 23:11:44

Hi ladies was just looking for some advice and story's of anyone else who been through the same thing. Getting really worried about my dds head shape. It's only on one side, the side she leans on the most, and it's not so much flat at the back but higher at the top (like s cone head) 🙈 Started doin all the steps turning head bought a special pillow etc just want to hear other people's experiences pls x

Pinklady856 Sun 29-May-16 23:16:02

Forgot to mention she's 3 months old x

Out2pasture Sun 29-May-16 23:21:36

what has your physician said?
sometimes it is positional, sometimes the neck is stiff on one side from birth process, but sometimes it is because the sections of the baby's head fuse prematurely.

Newtobecomingamum Sun 29-May-16 23:29:50

Going through the same thing with my little girl. Google sleep curve matress and LOC clinic (if you live near one). My little girl may need a helmet if I can't rectify through positioning. Rather her wear that that have a wonky head, can also (not trying to scare or cause alarm) face and ears to go out of shape. However.... Some heads just go back naturally but I don't want to risk it.

Newtobecomingamum Sun 29-May-16 23:31:50

Ps always keep an eye on pillows! I got one to start with and it flipped covering her face! That's why I got the sleep curve matress as it's built in it... I still use the pillow in the day in bouncy chair etc but under supervision.

Out2pasture Sun 29-May-16 23:40:50

tortle.com/

Numberoneisgone Sun 29-May-16 23:43:17

Dd1 had this. She grew out of it or more it grew out eventually. I think really encouraging tummy time helped not to make it worse. I used to let her lie on top of me, tummy to tummy, as much as possible so she was not in cots, bouncers or the floor.

eternalopt Sun 29-May-16 23:43:25

Definitely see gp - my little one had a ridge in his head and which I just mentioned in passing to gp and she sent us for an X-ray to rule out early fusing. Turns out he just has a funny ridge in his head, but worth checking! As for the flat head, a friend of mine had a little one with it and going to a cranial osteopath helped. Make sure you go to one experienced with treating babies.

quicklydecides Sun 29-May-16 23:43:47

Pick her up.
Carry her in a sling.
Don't leave her in her car seat.
Don't leave her for hours in her buggy.
Hold her. Carry her around the house with you. Let her nap in your arms.

Pick her up.

Newtobecomingamum Sun 29-May-16 23:45:35

Yes Number is right! As much tummy time as possible and like her I limit (although needs must of I have to do something hang out washing etc I take get with me and sit her in bouncer). Also have her in a sling as much as possible.

backtowork2015 Mon 30-May-16 07:55:07

I posted my experience previously here, have just found it so will cut and paste:

our ds had a torticollis, a neck stiffness, and developed a very pronounced flat side, it's called plagiocephaly, it caused some facial asymmetry too as the skull at the forehead was pushed forward on that side causing a bulging eye. it was most prominent at 8-12 weeks but the torticollis resolved with physiotherapy and we were fastidious about not lettibg him rest his head on that side.....rolled up towel against his head at night....never left him in a car seat whilst not driving and had a rolled up muslin to keep his head straight in it. ..used sling instead of pram for carrying him and constant tummy time. the flattening is probably 90% improved now, he's 16m, and there is no facial asymmetry. we looked into a helmet but it only relieves the pressure of lying on the flat spot, it doesn't remould the skull into a normal shape, so our diligent repositioning did the same job and as the torticollis resolved he stopped favouring that side. I would recommend you make every effort to encourage dd to not keep lying on the flat spot. the nhs don't take plagiocephaly seriously, we saw a private consultant who did and I am glad we acted quickly to avoid any worsening. ds still has opthalmic follow up as the bulge caused a squint which has thankfully resolved. sorry im not painting a very pleasant picture. ...he's a stunner actually. ..just went through a difficult time a wee one!!

Just an update to that, he's 30 months old now and it's not visible to anyone except dh and I. He's also just been discharged from opthalmic follow up, confirmed perfect eyesight.

Pinklady856 Mon 30-May-16 09:42:16

Thanks everyone for your replys. I haven't been to see anyone about it yet have health visitor next week so was going to wait until then. But like I said I have started doing lots of tummy time turning the head etc. Pretty sure she don't have no neck stiffness or nothing like that as she can lie on the other side she just prefers the right. So when she is lying down I position head to the left, but now I'm worried that will go flat shock the thought of helmets terrifies me I just hope it does go normal after a while. You can't notice it from the front or other side, just the right

backtowork2015 Mon 30-May-16 10:01:35

The other side won't flatten, the skull becomes less malleable with time so I think that's why we see a dramatic change in the early weeks. Also she will start having more head control and will turn her head more herself each day so she won't spend so long on one side. She's lovely btwsmile

Pinklady856 Mon 30-May-16 12:05:48

Thanks Hun x

lalalemon Wed 01-Jun-16 21:14:08

We had exactly the same with our little girl, she had a wonky and flat back of head, you can't barely tell now at 7 months. My advice is.. don't worry!

My Mum is in management at the hospital so spoke to a paediatrician for us.
They said do not use any pillows as the prevent moment and they need to be able to move for it to correct itself.
They also said to have her sleep on the opposite side to where it is wonky. That's worked a treat and she now puts herself on her side to sleep smile
They also completely advise against helmets, there's no evidence that they do anything that wouldn't happen naturally without one anyway. And they're bloody barbaric! I wouldn't want to wear a great plastic thing on my head for 23hrs a day.

nicolasixx Wed 01-Jun-16 22:08:58

Lovely baby girl!
Do be diligent about the repositioning as others have said. It will improve but not go away completely either time unless you keep her off the favoured side. Good luck.

nicolasixx Wed 01-Jun-16 22:09:17

Sorry that should read "with time"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now