Talk

Advanced search

2.9yo Anger Management

(5 Posts)
ImogenTubbs Sun 29-May-16 14:58:31

I have an almost 3yo DD who, like any normal toddler has tantrums.

Generally we’re doing quite well helping her express herself and learn coping strategies before she goes into full meltdown, but there’s one specific behaviour I’m struggling with. When she gets really angry (usually because she’s done something I asked her not to, and I followed through on the promised consequence) she will just throw whatever is closest on the ground or, if she is by a table, just sweep everything on the table onto the floor in a fit of fury. We’ve had a couple of close calls with hots cups of tea or glasses, and I would like to help her develop some different ways to express her anger that don't put her or our things at risk.

She and I had a good conversation after the latest incident. I asked her whether throwing all her toys on the floor had helped her feel better. She said no, so I asked whether that meant it was a good thing or a bad thing to do, and she agreed it was a bad thing.

I then said that when she feels angry she could try running into her bedroom or the living room, hitting the mattress or the sofa and shouting “I’m angry” to help her calm down. She thought this was hysterical and spent several minutes practising in fits of giggles.

Has anyone successfully dealt with similar, or tried anything like this? Thanks!

VioletBam Mon 30-May-16 01:49:51

How do you initially deal with the behaviour of throwing? What happens immediately after she's done it?

ImogenTubbs Mon 30-May-16 07:34:25

Usually being told that it was very naughty behaviour and being taken out of the room until she is calm enough to come back, apologise and pick the things up.

corythatwas Tue 31-May-16 09:37:49

At that age my dd did not have enough self control to stop herself from doing something like that: I just had to remove breakables or hold her. Have had success with the pillow punching but with a much older child- and a different child, which might be more important.

ImogenTubbs Tue 31-May-16 10:09:46

Ok, that's interesting. Yes, I might just be expecting too much too soon from her. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now