Amber teething necklace

(12 Posts)
sophree Sat 28-May-16 13:49:11

Do they work or are they a scam?

MrsAukerman Sat 28-May-16 13:50:39

Scam and a choking and strangulation risk to boot.

Toomanymarsbars Sat 28-May-16 16:06:27

You'd need to bath in a hundred thousand bathtubs full of beads to have even the slightest effect (0.0000000000001%), according to a news programme I watched on the BBC yonks ago...

0phelia Sat 28-May-16 17:59:03

Scam and hazardous.

You're better off with a Sophie the Giraffe teething toy, or freezing slices of cucumber to soothe their gums. Or plain old Calgel.

Lupinlady5 Mon 30-May-16 20:06:30

I always think they look dangerous.

Zaurak Mon 30-May-16 20:43:41

Scam. Utter woo and a strangulation and choking risk to boot.
Give them a toothbrush (short handled baby one) to chew, or something cold. Or firm but gentle run on the gum with a cold finger.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Mon 30-May-16 20:47:15

SCAM. whenever I see a child with one, my estimation of their parent goes down considerably.

NeedACleverNN Mon 30-May-16 20:47:16

Tried it...didn't notice a difference tbh.

I know some parents swear by it but I think by the end it's a precaution of "their behaviour might be worse without it so ill leave it on"

I don't believe they work at all. Teething powders however are a godsend for a homeopathic therapy

CheeriAndO Tue 31-May-16 02:26:21

I can attest that they really do work. Succinic acid is a natural analgesic and the necklaces are part of the culture in Baltic countries. Whole nations can't be all bad parents and the risk can't be any higher than, say, BLW if used responsibly ie under supervision.

Artioo2 Tue 31-May-16 12:40:50

How can you attest that they really do work? Based on what?

MrsUnderwood Tue 31-May-16 12:50:31

I wouldn't personally have a baby wear any type of necklace. You can buy these really nifty little silicone toothbrushes in the shape of a banana that you can buy on EBay for £1 that are great teething toys- easy to hold, and you can put teething gel on the bristles.

SpeakNoWords Tue 31-May-16 14:47:16

Of course they don't work. If they did work in the way CheeriAndO suggests, then they would have to be regulated as medicinal and be sold as such.

I have the same reaction as DustOff when I see children wearing them, tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now