Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

12 day old won't settle - help please.

(6 Posts)
YellowSquirrel Sun 22-May-16 00:52:34

My 12 day old breast fed baby wont settle. Today for example she was awake from 11.30am to 8 pm in this time she fed 13 times and in between either cried or slept for 5 mins then cried. She then had a 2 hour sleep and since then has been the unsettled unless feeding thing (now almost 1am).
I don't think she can possibly be hungry but if I just cuddle or leave her in basket she screams and screams.
Any advice as to what I should do to get her to sleep? We are both so tired.
Thanks and sorry for long rant...

hownottofuckup Sun 22-May-16 01:01:14

I think it's fairly normal around day 10, it's a bit of a growth spurt/getting the milk in.
I don't think there's much you can do but let her feed and wait for this phase to pass.
During the day I'd get everything you want (big drink/phone/remote/wet wipes/nappies) within reaching distance and settle down to spend the day feeding and cuddling.
It is just a phase it does pass. Obviously check her temp if you're concerned she might be unwell. Otherwise they just need to feed and feed and feed and sleep. Over tired babies get even grouchier. It can actually be quite nice when you don't worry that's it your going to spend the rest of your life pinned to the couch with your boobs out. It's a great excuse to do nothing but cuddle and rest.

YellowSquirrel Sun 22-May-16 01:18:09

I guess that is reassuring this is normal behaviour. I feel sad for that she cries all the time, was worried I was just comfort feeding too which would create a rod for my own back.

Ducky5867 Sun 22-May-16 01:53:07

It's very hard when they are crying- but it's due to growth spurt. Crying at the boob - bobbing on and off whilst feeding helps to generate more milk. Just follow your baby's cues and feed on demand. It will calm down.

Treat breastfeeding as a full time job (and then some) - especially in the early days - then I found I was more relaxed about all the time I spent feeding. This is what you are meant to be doing.

My 3rd did would feed every hr for 20mins or so - sometimes more in growth spurts. By 3/4 months was too nosy to what was going on around her to feed much during day unless just the two of us.

FastWindow Sun 22-May-16 02:27:04

Are you winding her properly? You didnt mention it at all, it can be a real issue , lots of ways to do it. Over the shoulder, over the knee. Baby is hungry, feeds, in pain, not winded, feeds for comfort, cries, repeat ad nauseam.

YellowSquirrel Sun 22-May-16 04:14:18

I wins over my shoulder. If she burps it usually happens in 1st 30 seconds, I usually only wind her for 1 minute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now