Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone experienced a 1yo who still can't/won't swallow solid food?

(8 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sat 21-May-16 16:33:51

DD was 1 in April and still can't/won't swallow solid foods, she's seeing a dietician next month but in the meantime I'm trying to find out some stories from others that have been through it.
She eats yoghurt, custard and anything completely smooth. She's keen to put food in her mouth and chew but then spits it all our rather than swallowing.
She's offered food 3 times a day and no one ever makes a fuss, she sits with family to eat and she's allowed free reign on our plates, it's not a lack on interest or her not wanting to eat, she's chew olives, meat, fish, veg and loads of other things but the spits them out before picking up and chewing dome more and spitting again.
She's tiny for her age although following just below the last centile she is gaining steadily, her height is right off the bottom of the chart.
She breastfeeds like a newborn registry through the day and all night, she's only offered milk after she's had a go at a mess though so she's not filling up on milk.
She's perfect in every other way.
Can anyone tell me what the dietician will likely say/do and gas anyone experienced similar?

VioletBam Sun 22-May-16 11:22:38

Some are slow to feed whilst others have physical issues...one cause can be an undiagnosed cleft called a sub mucous cleft palate. One sign of a sub mucous cleft is a Bifid Uvulva

Is DD's uvulva normal in appearance?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 22-May-16 12:44:21

My DS could not swallow anything but purée at this age. His was down to tongue tie.

Are you giving purées? Have you tried adding calories with olive oil or mascarpone?

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 22-May-16 14:15:58

I can't get a look at her uvula, I'll wait until she's yelling next time.

I don't think she's tongue tied, although we had a lot of breastfeeding issues with her that I just learnt to live with (shallow latch, on/off, thrush, pain) I did think about it at the time but she doesn't have an obvious tongue tie to see.

VioletBam Sun 22-May-16 14:31:25

I'm sure she's fine Titsalina...I bet it's just one of those things. xxxx

TheFurryMenace Fri 27-May-16 22:17:36

Hi, babies tend to eat the foods they can manage and it sounds like she doesn't yet have the oral motor skills yet to manage more complex textures.

tidal79 Fri 27-May-16 23:06:39

Hi, this sounds like our Ds who is now almost 3. Used to chew everything for ages, but unable to swallow. On 100% milk diet until age 2. He was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder....we were advised that the sensory issues were so severe he was unable to swallow solid food. Hope this helps x

tidal79 Fri 27-May-16 23:08:35

Ps not to say your Dd definitely has sensory issues, but may be an avenue worth considering, good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now