Talk

Advanced search

8 yr old DD behaviour

(6 Posts)
mummc2 Sat 21-May-16 08:57:56

Hi I haven't really been on here for a few years but I was wanting a bit of advice please?
My 8 yr old DD has always been different to her big sis but I'm not sure if it's just how she is or if it's more? She's always had issues with food lots of things she won't eat and pretty much lives on sandwiches and chicken nuggets and chips, but over the last 6 months her behaviour has also been something that has made me and dh think something is going on. She likes routine likes to know what is happening each day - before she goes to bed she'll ask what we doing tomorrow and then again in morning go through it. She has recently become more aware of time and I can't say it half eight I have to say precisely it's 8:29 , she's trying to work out how many minutes til X and same with dates. But mainly the thing at the minute is doing something out of the ordinary - she won't do anything or change anything on pre planned days when things come up without getting really upset and she loves sport but seriously hates it when she loses like a proper tantrum.
What do you think? Am I worrying over nothing? Do I just need to work on her emotions more?
I thought it was just how she is but a guy at work who has a child with autism said it could be more?? (I have no idea what he means by that ie , autism etc)

SoGodhelpme Sat 21-May-16 09:03:26

I think CAMHS should be your first port of call I.e through your GP. There are definitely some red flags waving about from what you've described, she sounds very anxious combined with OCD type behaviour. Visit your GP, with early intervention this can be treated, don't wait for it to spiral out of control. Good luck!

mummc2 Sat 21-May-16 10:21:44

Thanks I will make an appointment I always feel daft going to docs with non physical things but will see how things go with them. I always tend to dismiss how she behaves because she is really loving and at school very intelligent so hopefully she's just struggling with feelings/emotions and how to deal with them xx

SoGodhelpme Sun 22-May-16 11:54:10

i just read that back and it doesn't sound right. I am not diagnosing OCD and anxiety (thought she sounds very anxious), but some of the things you described e.g saying the time in an exact fashion sounds like OCD type behaviour. So please see your GP, they are used to people having healthcare covers physical and mental and emotional wellbeing so don't feel daft at all.

bobbinpop Fri 27-May-16 10:45:29

Sounds so much like my 8 year old DD apart from foods, so please do update if you can! (The time thing may be related to school though, as my twins have both had homework to work out the exact time and how many minutes until ... . )

We have to count days til events too. Daily routine and plans need to be discussed in depth to make her relax. She can't stand losing in games, really can't deal with her emotions at that point. Sorry no help at all, but will be following with interest!

mummc2 Sat 28-May-16 21:02:03

Thanks I will update when I've seen dr but away next week so booked in for week after x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now