5 year old tantrums / change in behaviour - help!

(1 Post)
timefliesby Mon 16-May-16 19:12:57

Hi,
There's been a change in behaviour with my 5 year old (nearly 6) over the past few weeks.
She started by using sounds instead of words, even though she's a fluent reader.
She'll say "dah" to things. Then she started tantruming, much like the terrible twos, except it's much harder to deal with with a 5 year old. She will say things she knows she can't do. So on Friday when I picked her from school, she said she wanted to stay at school, she repeated this for an hour and a half, I had to carry her to the car. She refused to put her seatbelt on, then when I took her to her room, spent 40 minutes kicking the door in. Today when I picked her up from a childminder, I was told she has sat under the table during singing club, taken her shoes and socks off and said she hated her new shoes ( chosen by her on Saturday - cost me £47!). Again wouldn't get in childminder's car (she's known her since she was a baby and they are very close). Her brother said she mentioned she doesn't want me to get married. But this doesn't make any sense either. I left her father when she was 1 (he was mentally abusive), she has known my partner for 4 years and he is so, so kind to her and she always runs and hugs him and hangs off his leg etc when he is here. I asked if that was unprompted, her brother says it was. Every time I ask why the tantrums I get a different excuse. Both the school and childminder have commented how stubborn she is during a tantrum and how long they go on for (over an hour). Any ideas? I was thinking of taking her to a psychologist! She is generally biddable, smiley, quirky and a nice girl. She has always had very stubborn tantrums but they eased when you'd expect them to around the time she started reception (July baby) . We're at end of year 1 now and they are back - boy are they back bigger and more disruptive than before. Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now