Anyone in HR please?

(12 Posts)
Trace38 Mon 16-May-16 17:44:04

I have a flexible working hearing coming up and I'm after any advice I can get re. the right things to say and questions to ask/solutions to provide etc to prevent them from refusing. I am asking to work three days rather than five and I'm in senior management.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Trace38 Mon 16-May-16 17:44:53

I have no idea which thread to post this in, sorry.

IrenetheQuaint Mon 16-May-16 17:46:24

I'd suggest getting this moved to Employment Issues (report your own post and ask MN to do this).

Unthoughtknown Mon 16-May-16 17:52:28

Well it really depends on your role. You're a senior manager so what would you expect if a member of your team requested it. Maybe focus on how to minimise disruption ? Or the cost saving side ?

soundsystem Wed 18-May-16 14:47:16

It's really just dealing with all possible objections. And demonstrating how it can work with zero hassle for them. What are you proposing will happen when you reduce days?

I found being prepared and taking control of the meeting worked well. I did a PowerPoint with a clearly set out proposal as to how it would work operationally once I reduced my hours (to 4 days in my case), benefits to the business, figures, etc. I also suggested a review at 6 months to see whether both sides felt it was working.

At the end they just said "yeah, fine, crack on". Basically make it as easy as possible for them so they don't have to do anything!

I'm also a senior manager - in a fairly large organisation - and the first at my level to be granted any sort of flexibility.

Good luck!

Trace38 Wed 18-May-16 19:14:52

Thank you for responding! Really appreciate it.

Rather than bring in maternity cover for me, they hired a middle manager on a perm contract to cover my role. It's left me in a bit of a strange place, since there is already a permanent staff member doing my job. It should strengthen my argument but I feel as though I need to carve out my role again. I suggested a review in my request letter so that's one box ticked.

Julieb85 Wed 18-May-16 19:28:20

I work in HR, the guidance we give employees is to cover the below:

Why it would be beneficial to you - I.e. You'll be focused when your at work as you won't be worrying about childcare etc...

Why it would be beneficial to your team: I.e. They'll gain more independent working skills, they'll benefit from a happier boss etc

What issues you can foresee and how you believe these could be combatted.

Trace38 Wed 18-May-16 21:34:32

Thank you so much Julie, that's really helpful! What common issues do you tend to come across (so I can prepare)?

Julieb85 Wed 18-May-16 21:44:02

Really just the balance of workload...if I were you I'd speak about delegating more and allowing your team/direct reports to develop and gain confidence. Also ensuring that there is a clear escalation process for issues when you are not there...

Trace38 Wed 18-May-16 22:27:22

Thank you very much for the advice. Super helpful! Will let you know how it goes. smile

bookwormthatturned Wed 18-May-16 23:36:26

One other thing Tha may be useful is to check out the guidance on the ACAS website around flexible working requests. From memory there are 4 or 5 legitimate reasons for an employer to refuse a request. These are the only reasons the employer can cite. If you check these out you could pre-empt any concerns when you put forward your request. Good luck!

trashcansinatra Wed 18-May-16 23:56:52

If you are in senior management, you should probably already know: what would you expect from your staff? What issues would you be concerned about and how would you expect them to address them? What would your 'red-lines' be, and where would you be willing to compromise?

The chances are your thoughts about your staff aren't that different but from your managers to you. And even though HR will be involved, it's likely your manager's views will be very important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now