Talk

Advanced search

Mummy hits me

(7 Posts)
Gobbledeygook Sat 14-May-16 16:08:04

My 4 year old DD suddenly starting saying "mummy hits me when she gets cross". (It's not true btw.) I asked her not to say such things and she insists that I do. So far only to her grandmother and her dad but what if she starts saying that at nursery ? Any ideas ?

Ferguson Sat 14-May-16 19:23:38

Is she your only child, and has anything changed in her life in recent months?

Has she seen anything on TV that suggests some children DO get hit? EastEnders (which is not suitable for 4yr olds anyway) or NSPCC adverts for example, some of which could seem scary at her age. As children mature, and become more aware of things that go on in the world, they probably do become confused and 'think' about things, and may express their confusion in unexpected ways. Pre-empt any risks at nursery (if you can in a low-key way) and tell the Supervisor what DD has been saying.

GrimmauldPlace Sat 14-May-16 19:29:59

My little brother who's 15 years younger than me used to tell people I threw him down the stairs and out of the window confused

DD is 3 and kept coming out of preschool everyday telling me she'd hurt one person or another. In the end I spoke to her keyworker about it as I was concerned that she was hurting people on a daily basis! They had no idea what I was talking about, said they had never seen her so much as poke another child and maybe she had something she wanted to say or was excited about but didn't know how to articulate it so said that. As some of the children do push and hit so maybe she'd seen that and her mind was running away with her.

I completely get why it would concern you though, maybe preempt the whole nursery thing and speak to them yourself?

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 14-May-16 19:32:22

No advice, but I feel your pain! DS does this - once when he accidentally ran into my hand (yes really) he spent the next hour saying accusingly "Mummy, you punched me and it really hurt" Always as we were just passing a group of strangers. Another time he claimed I'd thrown him across the room when nothing even remotely like that had happened.

RabbitSaysWoof Sat 14-May-16 19:39:16

My ds age 4 does this too, I think it's common. I'm not anti smacking or anything but I have not smacked him before.
Yesterday I was very cross with him because he was showing off (loud howling, no tears) when it was time to leave a play centre, he is in a phase of this lately so I told him no swimming this weekend, when he asked today about going swimming I said 'no and you know why' he said 'because I cried at monkey world and you smacked me' I didn't smack him at all. The other week he's pants elastic pinged a bit when I wa helping him to get dressed he said 'owch you smacked me with my pants'
Ok ds I'm so abusive 🙄

Gobbledeygook Sat 14-May-16 22:20:42

Thanks guys - certainly makes me feel a bit better to hear others having similar problems. And good advice to pre-empt at nursery.
Ferguson - she is not an only child - she's had a sibling join the family fairly recently and I know this hasn't been easy for her. I don't watch everything with her like I used to (no time) so don't know exactly what the content is but it's certainly billed as age appropriate for her and defo no Eastenders !!
Earlier today she told someone I smoked. I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years. She has NEVER seen me smoke and only knows 1 person in our entire network who does. It's bizarre (tho better than hitting her I guess) !

Dellarobia Sun 15-May-16 06:54:19

The most important thing is not to make a big deal of it when she says these things. She's doing it to get a reaction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now