Talk

Advanced search

Two-year-old not saying his name (lighthearted)

(8 Posts)
MintSource Thu 12-May-16 13:34:10

DS is 20 months and responds very well to his name but will never ever say it himself. We noticed this when we were chatting and saying to him 'Who is that?' and he'd name Daddy and Mummy and others but when we point to him and say 'What's your name?' or similar, he gets super-giggly and never wants to say.

The one time he did point to himself he then pulled a face like 'Oh you got me!'

I didn't think much of it until I spoke to a friend who has a two-year-old who does exactly the same.

Has anyone else come across this? Is it just a game?

Witchend Thu 12-May-16 14:33:19

IS his name hard to say? Two of my dc used "me", "my" and "I " straight off, before they said their own name, and the other one would use their own name. I don't think it was a coincidence that the one who said their name had a much easier name (and shorter) than the ones who used me, my and I.

MintSource Fri 13-May-16 08:25:55

That's an interesting point, Witch, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think it is as many of his nursery friends say it or versions of it.

My friend's son is called Declan and the only time he said his name rather than giggling, he said 'Deccy', which is what his nanny calls him.

LightHouser Fri 13-May-16 08:41:50

My 20mo insists on referring to self as 'baba' but has responded to own name for ages. It's not a hard name to say.

Hithere1982 Fri 13-May-16 19:33:24

My son is just coming up 22 months and has only started saying his own name in the last 6 weeks or so. He'd always respond to his name, look up etc but he wouldn't say his name for what seemed like ages. I would say where's xxxxxx and he would point to himself but never say his name. He also wouldn't say anything when he saw himself in photos. Then one day it all seemed to click and he now points himself out in photos and says his name all the time!

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 13-May-16 19:52:21

My 18 mo says 'mummy' 'daddy', his sister's name, his uncle's name, grandma, grandad, me and mine... but laughs his head off if you try to get him to say his easy name. I'm glad to hear that it's not just him! I was beginning to think he didn't like his name grin

MrsHathaway Fri 13-May-16 19:58:40

Mine is 2y6m and hasn't ever said his name. Little friends a clear year younger can say something close enough to be recognisable so that's not the reason.

However, the concepts of "you" and "me" are pretty intellectual. Giving yourself another label to use ("Sally" as well as "me") is complicated.

It'll come.

frankieanddaphne Sat 14-May-16 14:34:57

My 21 month old is exactly the same! Glad to hear it's not just her. She can say everyone else's name and a couple of her friends at nursery say hers - it's not a difficult nam. It'll happen when she's ready I guess smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now