Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 month old - Stopped doing tummy time, grouchy, hates nursery...HELP!

(4 Posts)
SweetBerries Thu 12-May-16 10:28:12

Hi everyone,

My little man had a tough start with his head control - I've posted before here about it and everyone was REALLY helpful. In the end taking him to an osteopath was the solution and he started doing push ups/rolling about 3 weeks ago.
This was all great until this week. He's not having a very happy time of things, presumably because of his teething. He won't hold his head up as high during tummy time and he will only do it for a couple of minutes before he buries his hand in his mouth and gives up.

We've also started taster sessions at nursery and every time I take him in there, he just screams. They try and prop him up with cushions and hold him to sit him upright but he just flops over...I know that he can do better as I've seen him sit in his bumbo seat just fine.

Do you think these things are linked? I know that there are the obvious concerns about motor skill regression but he's eating well, growing well and when he's happy, he's really happy - he just seems to have given up on tummy time and hates his nursery sad.

I don't really know what to do for him at the moment. If you hadn't guessed (I bet you had) I'm a FTM and all the other mums I know seem to be having a pretty easy time when it comes to this area. Any advice?

Thanks everyone x

lenibose Thu 12-May-16 10:30:20

My guess is that these are not linked. He may have developmental things that need looking at. But he's at peak age for separation anxiety and might be very unsettled by nursery.

MrsAukerman Thu 12-May-16 10:30:57

He's only 4 months old! He sounds about normal to me. Not many 4 month olds go to nursery and it's natural that he'd rather be with you. Re the sitting up etc, again, he's 4 months old. Most don't sit comfortably even with support until around 6m.

SweetBerries Thu 12-May-16 10:37:38

Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm going to the nursery sessions WITH him at the moment so we aren't being separated yet. I don't go back to work for another nearly 3 months. He just seems to hate it in there...I wonder if it's the older children running around and toys he doesn't know etc.

I'm more worried about his tummy time/sitting to be honest.

@lenibose - He is under a paediatrician as he has a very big head, which is why it took him so long to control it to begin with. His physio signed him off two weeks ago because she saw him pushing up and rolling, but as I say, that seems to have stopped.

@MrsAukerman I thought that, it just panicked me when nursery said 'he's very floppy isn't he'. I didn't think he was at all! As I say, he sits in his bumbo chair, he just isn't used to being surrounded/scaffolded by pillows which is what happened there yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now