Talk

Advanced search

Weaning-Help

(5 Posts)
user1461783206 Wed 11-May-16 21:52:28

Hello my 14 week old little boy seems to be going off of his milk not drinking so much and just getting bored. A few weeks ago we changed the size of the teat and that seemed to work for a week or so but it's the same again. Everyone has said he seems ready to be weaned and to try him with baby rice. I have been giving him a few spoonfuls at tea time for about a week and half but he just spits it back out then gets really upset and cries. Does this sound normal? Should I persist or stop and just keep trying him with his bottle? Any help in really thankful for.

dementedpixie Wed 11-May-16 21:55:53

No don't persist as it's too early for solids. They shouldn't be given before 17 weeks at the very earliest (under medical advice) and ideally you should wait until closer to 6 months.

Ashhead24 Wed 11-May-16 21:57:56

He won't be ready for weaning until 4 months at the very earliest, and probably can't move the baby rice around his mouth yet to swallow it. Need to keep going with the bottles, and you probably ought to see your health visitor if he's not feeding properly.

LuckySantangelo1 Wed 11-May-16 21:59:09

No solids for 6 months! The fact he can't swallow it & is upset is a big sign to stop. As long as he's growing well there is no need for for concern. Just continue with the milk & get him weighed.

crayfish Wed 11-May-16 22:03:10

Far too early for weaning! You should ideally wait until 6 months unless under medical (that's medical, not 'granny' or 'well-meaning stranger') advice. The reason he spits it out is because he still had the tongue thrust reflex which is a sign he isn't ready for solids.

We had problems with DS going off his milk at about four months and went back and forth with teat sizes. He eventually got over it though and went back to eating normally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now