Clingy baby

(8 Posts)
WonderWoman30 Wed 11-May-16 13:04:43

My DS is almost 8 months hes very clingy I can't leave the room for any amount of time and he just cries the whole time until I come back. How can I stop this?

minipie Wed 11-May-16 15:14:28

It's separation anxiety, very normal, some babies get it worse than others. It's a phase and will stop by itself when he realises you will come back. IME it gets gradually better over a month or three.

Peekaboo type games are supposed to help by teaching him "object permanence" ie you still exist even if he can't see you. But mainly it's just about waiting for it to pass!

WonderWoman30 Wed 11-May-16 18:06:33

Ok thanks. I didn't have it with my first so it's new to me

minipie Wed 11-May-16 22:24:29

My first didn't either - big shock with my second! Nice to feel wanted but also a bit annoying when you need the loo...

WonderWoman30 Thu 12-May-16 13:51:18

Yeah or cook dinner or hoover or anything. When does it pass? He even cries when his dad holds him

minipie Thu 12-May-16 14:41:48

I'd say it lasts a few months but it's probably at its worst at the beginning and then gradually gets better. But that's just based on one child so not sure!

Maybe put him in highchair near you or even put him in a sling (if you have a decent one) while you get stuff done? that way he can't touch the oven or hoover but can see what you're doing...

KW89 Mon 16-May-16 22:04:09

My DS2 is almost ten months and has had awful separation anxiety for about 2 months, he even screams if his Dad takes him for a cuddle and won't take a bottle from his Dad, it has to be me, it's exhausting! Some days I can't even put him down on the floor next to me let alone leave the room! I can remember DS1 going through it mildly, but nothing like this, hoping it will pass soon! Sorry not much help, but you have my sympathy! X

Couchpotato3 Mon 16-May-16 22:24:27

Two out of my three were 'velcro babies' - permanently attached to me during the day, and we co-slept too. I had a hip-seat thing for the third, and it was brillant for carrying for long periods. I became very adept at doing everything one-handed.. It does pass, but it is incredibly draining while it lasts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now