Talk

Advanced search

Is this alright for a 1 year old?

(3 Posts)
BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 10-May-16 12:41:48

DS will be 1 at the end of the month, and he can't clap!!! We've just started Monkey Music (baby music class) and he's the only one who can't clap. In situations where he would clap, he waves instead - goes up and down rather than hands together. Been like that for months!

Also he has no words, not even Mama and Dada. He says those syllables, but more like mamamamama, and not even really in context. If he is calling us from his cot he will just make random noises, not ma/da. He definitely understands words though, you can ask him to go get a ball/book and he will. He loves books. I think I don't do enough nursery rhymes/animal noises with him.

He is walking though and very happy and busy, so I've always just thought he had his priorities focussed on the physical stuff. But the HV at his year check last month said they'd be worried if he's not Mama and Dada-ing by a year shock

Believe it or not I actually think of myself as quite a relaxed, level-headed parent, but it seems I am going through a fretful phase! hmm

TippetyTapWriter Tue 10-May-16 14:52:11

My ds is just over 12 months and I could almost have written your post myself. He doesn't clap either, or bang objects together. Has no words, but babbles a lot. He's not walking yet, but is pulling up and cruising. Hv was happy at his one year check so I'm trying to remind myself not to worry, they all develop differently etc etc.

He points and waves and seems fairly switched on, eg knows which light switches turn on which lights in the house, and even which button on his baby monitor turns the light on (can you tell he likes lights!).

It's hard not to worry though when they're not completely 'text book'. Has your ds had his 1 year review? Maybe that will help put your mind at ease.

TippetyTapWriter Tue 10-May-16 14:53:55

Sorry, just saw that he did have his check. My hv didn't say anything like that. The one thing I've learnt since being a parent is that no two hvs will ever say the same thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now