Nursery vs playgroup

(8 Posts)
Remiggio Tue 10-May-16 07:35:31

My OH is adverse to sending our ds to nursery because he's read about boys not being mentally ready for learning settings until much later on. I'm leaning more towards sending him at 2 to help him interact with children, get used to a learning/play setting & build confidence.

Would a playgroup be a good compromise? I'm not sure what happens at each & what he could be missing out on by not going to nursery. We're lucky in that we don't have to send him due to childcare being covered by us/relatives.

kimlo Tue 10-May-16 07:40:46

They both follow the eyfs and are very similar.

kimlo Tue 10-May-16 07:42:14

But the learning is done through play and following the childs intrests so its not a learning enviroment in the same way school is.

Remiggio Tue 10-May-16 07:51:00

I like the sound of that! At 2/3 that's really what they should be doing I think. Are the groups structured in any way or is it just turn up & play?

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 10-May-16 07:57:01

Contact a few nurseries and playgroups and make appointments to visit, so you can get a feel for what they're like.

DS has been in a lovely nursery since he was 11 months old (he's now 3.4). He recently moved up to preschool room, where they have free-flow play and the children choose what they want to do. He doesn't like the freedom though, so he goes off with the children doing numeracy / phonics and does that. hmm entirely his choice. Some children, irrespective of sex, are ready for "formal learning" sooner than others. We're very lucky to have found a nursery that understands that and can tailor what they do to each individual child.

AddictedtoGreys Tue 10-May-16 08:00:16

My DS started playgroup in September last year when he was 2.4, he goes 2 mornings a week and he loves it. They do all sorts with him and since going there his social skills have improved quite a lot. He will be going to nursery in September.

Remiggio Tue 10-May-16 08:04:07

Sounds like a plan cupcakes, will do some digging!

Eminybob Tue 10-May-16 08:17:48

I chose DS's nursery over another one which seemed much better on paper and facilities wise because I found the attitude when I visited far too academic for a 1 year old. The one I chose is much more relaxed and homely but he is still learning through play. It's just stuff like helping him to learn his colours and stuff, and all done through play and his development has come on tons.
I don't know much about playgroups but I would recommend nursery provided you take time to research, visit, and go with your instincts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now