Talk

Advanced search

6yo very whiney/moany all the time!

(6 Posts)
Heyjude16 Sun 08-May-16 20:00:50

Ds is has done nothing but whine all weekend. He does it anyway but it's been even worse this weekend. He cries and shouts and honestly sounds like a toddler having a tantrum!

He talks back, doesn't give you a chance to explain, thinks he knows everything! Literally you could say "tea will be 10 mins" and he wil be like "10 mins!? That's so long!! That's ages!" 😒

He's been trying to play outside all weekend, every time he's been bought back In and sent to bed because he starts screaming and crying with his sister when she's not doing anything.

Yesterday he was in the car and had a bag on his knee. I told him 5 X to just wait a sec while I put the shopping in the house and I will take the bag off him, he sat screaming that he was stuck and couldn't get out. I ended up losing my temper and pulled him out the car 😪

It's been so tiring! Iv shouted way too much this weekend. I need wine 😩 But I'm 7 months pregnant!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 08-May-16 20:04:48

flowers our ds (also 6) has been the same, nothing would please him. Checked his temperature and he is hot and complaining of a sore throat now so maybe that is why he's been so grumpy. Could yours be coming down with something?

Heyjude16 Sun 08-May-16 20:12:38

He's like it all the time though sad since he was about 3?. He is better since we moved house/schools and has "grown up" since being at the new school. He had an old school friend around this weekend to sleep. I'm wondering if that's caused it sad

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 08-May-16 20:15:50

My 6 year old DD has been like this recently. I think, for her, it's an experimentation with talking like other kids, testing the boundaries. She doesn't sound like herself at all (although has been argumentative since she could first talk).

Although incredibly irritating, I have found that empathising with whatever she's whining about (while not giving in to it), much more likely to stop it than coming down hard on it. Very difficult to do when you're tired, busy, stressed. I've been better this weekend, but in the midst of busy working/ school week it's much harder.

Both my nieces, also 6, are apparently exactly like this at the moment too.

Having taught year 2 before (not now, thankfully) I do realise that it's quite normal. That tone of voice, 'I'm telling!', and the stroppy head toss, were all constant features of the day.

parrotonmyshoulder Sun 08-May-16 20:16:51

Just read your update - old school friend has same effect on DD! We moved 6 months ago. She's awful for days after seeing old friend. Coping with the loss I guess.

Vinorosso74 Mon 09-May-16 21:06:42

My 6yo DD has been like this since we picked her up from her friends house on Friday night. Bad attitude, complaing urrggggh. I think the attitude has come from friend who says a lot of things DD has been coming out with.
I don't remember anything about stroppy sixes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now