Talk

Advanced search

learning to talk

(21 Posts)
howiloveanicecupoftea Thu 05-May-16 12:43:16

DS is 23 months and only has a few words (about 5 maximum) and even those aren't clear. My question is should I have taught him to speak or do kids just naturally learn to speak at their own rate? I'm with him all day and talk to him but now I'm wondering (worrying!) that I haven't taught him to speak. I just thought he would miraculously start talking if I'm honest...

KP86 Thu 05-May-16 12:45:10

You don't need to do anything special to teach him how to speak. Does he understand you when you talk to him? If yes, then you are well on your way. Some children are just late talkers (and then make up for lost time by never shutting up!).

If worried mention to your HV at the 2 year check up.

Defenestration Thu 05-May-16 12:47:01

I've got a 23 month old too. She's literally just started talking more in the last month. I narrate my day constantly and encourage her to speak when I can so "say bye bye" or "thank you" or whatever. I don't think it's so much teaching them just giving them opportunities as much as possible and speaking to them constantly. I used to feel like a dick walking around the supermarket chatting away to my eldest when she was younger but with my second I don't give it a second thought.

Ferguson Thu 05-May-16 20:15:03

READ TO HIM as much as you can.

DO NOT have the radio or TV on all day, ONLY when you and/or he are listening to it, and try to share and explain what he is hearing/seeing.

SING TO HIM, and let him hear QUALITY music, (not 'pop) - the String finals of BBC Young Musician are on BBC on Friday, with semi-finals and finals soon thereafter: try and share the experiences with him.

zzzzz Thu 05-May-16 20:17:38

confused why do you think "pop" is bad and string whatever good, and what the hell do they have to do with language acquisition.

DeathByMascara Thu 05-May-16 20:18:46

My dd is 3.5, only in the past 6 months has she really started to talk properly, in that we can have a conversation. I did raise it as a concern at her 27 month review and was told not to worry, it would come.

CallMeMousie Thu 05-May-16 20:22:35

DS started to talk about 23 months and has developed rapidly since then (now 2.7). I worried and worried for ages and I need to remind myself of that now when he's narrating his favourite tv shows or chatting incessantly and driving me mad! They all come to it in their own time, speak to your hv if worried but it's probably all fine!!

Ferguson Tue 10-May-16 18:50:10

Sorry 'zzzz' - only just come back on.

'Music' involves LISTENING, and all language is acquired also through listening! Pop music - much of it 'thump and scream - does not encourage a young child to 'listen'.

I also suggest having 'quietness' for much of the day, so music or dialogue becomes something 'special'. If TV or radio are on all the time, they are just 'there' in the background and consequently are not really listened to.

(This Friday evening, BBC4 TV is the Jazz portion of Young Musician. And Sunday is the Final of Young Musician - 17 year old Jess Gillam is the first ever Saxophone player to make the final - and I am expecting her to win - so it could be a very historic occasion! )

www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/14477909.Ulverston_saxophonist_makes_it_to_young_musician_finals/

zzzzz Tue 10-May-16 19:15:00

It's a new version theory ferguson but total bollocks

hazeyjane Tue 10-May-16 19:21:32

Pop music - much of it 'thump and scream - does not encourage a young child to 'listen'.

I do not understand this at all - please tell me why pop music (and please define pop music) is 'thump and scream'?

I also don't get why you seem to be plugging BBC Young Musician of The Year!!

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 10-May-16 19:26:34

I would suggest approaching your HV, if only because waiting lists for speech therapy are very long. He should have his hearing checked too. You may well find he is just a late talker and comes on leaps and bounds in the next six months, but if not at least you are getting to the top of the waiting list rather than languishing at the bottom.
My DD is the same age and at high risk of speech delay because of an underlying condition, so it's something we've worked pretty hard at. I don't think most children need to be 'taught' beyond taking a basic interest in them and speaking to them, we are pretty hard wired to acquire language.
You can help him by keeping your speech to him simple and naming objects he shows an interest in. We use lots of choices 'apple or pear?' to encourage DD to say a word and link the word with the object. If he says anything, acknowledge and expand on it a little.
What's his understanding like? Can he point to objects that you name? Does he use gestures ( pointing, waving, nodding or shaking head) to communicate? Can he follow simple instructions without you gesturing? Does he babble and 'jargon' (chat in nonsense language but with some speech patterns)

Miloarmadillo1 Tue 10-May-16 19:27:57

This website is really helpful www.talkingpoint.org.uk

Ferguson Tue 10-May-16 19:35:18

Because many of the World's top musicians, over the past forty years, came to prominence via the BBC the Young Musician competitions. (you can find a list of them on-line if you look for them.)

And I'm 'plugging' it because it is currently taking place over the next few days, so anyone who wants to hear it can do so, via BBC4 TV. And it would be a shame to miss it, if you have any interest in music.

hazeyjane Tue 10-May-16 19:42:06

Yes I know it is wonderful and I know it is upcoming (I have a friend involved, its all over her FB newsfeed!), I am not sure what this has to do with speech and language development though and why classical music is better for speech and language development than pop music.

zzzzz Tue 10-May-16 20:14:08

Using someone's worries about language development to promote a television series is really low, as is inventing theories about language acquisition and passing them off as fact. angry

pathetic

MooningIntoTheAbyss Tue 10-May-16 20:17:48

My DS is almost 21 months and has about 5 words
'Buh buh' (bye bye)
'Ca' (car)
'Bur' (bus)
Mummy
NO!

HV put him on the list for Language and speech therapy a while back as the list is long but I'm not too worried yet.

He said 'daisy' today and pointed at upsy daisy on tv.

We read, sing talk endlessly. And just repeat stuff. He wants to join in with me and Dd so that helps.

turtlesallthewaydown Tue 10-May-16 20:38:23

Good idea to rule out hearing problems. Probably everything is fine, but early intervention is really valuable if not. It's possible for children to hear enough to understand you but not clearly enough to reproduce speech sounds accurately.

I'm not a medic but had this experience with my Dd2. It turned out she had glue ear. She had grommets fitted and she changed overnight. Speech and language therapy helped her catch up. Now she's 5 and you wouldn't know she had problems.

This may not be what is going on at all with your lo - and his speech may come in a rush any time! But worth checking out I think.

suspiciousofgoldfish Tue 10-May-16 22:27:20

I believe the correct response to Fergusons comments would be

"So, anyway....." grin

My DS sounds similar OP, he understands a lot but his words are a bit 'babbly'. As long as he is interacting and can follow commands, shake/nod his head when you ask him something, I wouldn't worry.

The HV will give him the once over for his two year check up, and even then they will probably tell you that toddlers develop at different rates and not to be concerned until he's older.

Just keep chatting to him, he'll answer back soon!

AnotherTimeMaybe Wed 11-May-16 05:08:28

Op same situation here with my 19mo and I have ds1 with asd so that's scary
Does your ds point? If yes every time he sees something just say the word loud and clear. Takes book with objects and read each one if them
I don't think it's a matter of teaching them to speak but if they are late with this milestone it's worth helping them a bit

howiloveanicecupoftea Wed 11-May-16 08:17:13

I should add that his understanding is good he can fetch most things I ask him to get, he says no and shakes his head and communicates well (I feel) without talking if that makes sense!

zzzzz Wed 11-May-16 09:34:42

If it was me I would get his hearing checked. Get his eyesight checked. Ask for a salt assessment.
All of which in most areas you can self refer to.

In the meantime be happy together and be aware that he is likely to find it very frustrating and find sharing/waiting/negotiating much harder and more frustrating than the average toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now