Talk

Advanced search

Reassurance and advice around my 5 month old's development

(13 Posts)
Lulabelle2212 Tue 03-May-16 21:49:57

Hi all,

As a first time mummy I may be getting anxious over nothing but I'm desperately looking for some reassurance and advice. I'm feeling a bit worried about my 5 month old DS's physical development as all he seems to want to do is be horizontal. Many of the babies I know around his age are either rolling or sitting unaided - he can't really do either.

When he was around 16 weeks old (back in March) he started rolling from his tummy to his back but after doing this about 4 times he has since stopped doing it. Sometimes he looks like he may roll from his back to his front and gets so far but then he just gives up. I've tried positioning his toys to the side just out of reach and giving him lots of encouragement but it hasn't worked so far. Has anyone else experienced this?

Regarding the sitting, I'm trying to get him to sit as much as possible but he frequently protests and goes stiff as if he wants to stand or arches his back. At times he will let me sit him up and he may last a few moments unaided before he slumps forward or to the side. Is there anything anyone would kindly recommend that I could try with him?

Doing tummy time has always been a trial but we are managing about 30 to 40 minutes a day. Should I perhaps be doing more? My DS is quite a refluxy baby - could this be hindering his development?

Also, a friend of mine said that her sons were quite slow developing and once she started weaning them at 4 months they started to make progress. Has anyone else noticed this? DS is exclusively breastfed.

So sorry this is such a long post. I really would be incredibly grateful if anyone has any reassurance or advice to give. Thanks for taking the time to have a read.

VocationalGoat Tue 03-May-16 22:02:29

Both my boys were very late sitters. DS1 crawled at 6 months... but didn't sit up until like 8 or 9 months. confused
DS2 was similar. He didn't sit up until about 8 months, didn't crawl until 9 months. He wanted to stand with my support.
Both boys walked at 12 months.
Our daughter was text book.
I sometimes think that certain babies are so busy sorting out other things that they sort of put certain milestones to the back burner.

Do you have a baby gym mat?
This really encourages reaching and stretching of the body to grasp objects. Does
he bicycle and make other physical movements?

Primaryteach87 Tue 03-May-16 22:07:05

My boy was like this but no problems whatsoever. For all but a tiny number of babies with diagnosed disabilities, there is no correlation between when you meet gross motor milestones and intelligence as an older child. As long as he is sitting by about 7/8 months, crawling by around 10 and walking by 18 months there is almost certainly nothing wrong and what's more your baby might end up being the boss of baby at the baby group who crawled at 7months and walked at 10! Don't sweat it!

Lulabelle2212 Tue 03-May-16 22:12:26

Thanks so much for your reply Vocational - very reassuring to hear about when your DCs hit their milestones.
We do have a baby gym mat and DS does reach out and grasp things. He does a lot of kicking movements and pushes with his legs (which are often incredibly strong) - is that what you mean by 'bicycle'? When he is on his tummy he has no problems lifting and keeping his head up, although his hands are often a distraction as he tends to suck on them a lot! He also does a kind of swimming movement when he is on his front as if he is trying to crawl, but I'm not sure!

Touchacat Tue 03-May-16 22:13:25

Sounds completely normal to me. My dd didn't roll until nearly six months and didn't sit unaided until about 7 months. She's 10 months now and looks set to be an early walker! They really will do everything in their own time. Don't worry and enjoy it!

FinnigansCake Tue 03-May-16 22:22:49

He sounds perfectly normal for his age. My DGS didn't sit unaided before 6.5 months, rolled a couple of times at 4 months then not again until 8 months, and crawled at 11 months. He walked at 14 months. By the time he was 2, he was running and climbing just as well as his friend who had crawled at 6 months and walked at 11 months.

Don't worry, he sounds fine. Milestones aren't a race, they are just a guideline, and the first babies past the post for some things may be slower at others. My DGS wasn't the greatest mover, but boy, could he communicate!smile

happyis Tue 03-May-16 22:24:24

Another who had early crawlers that couldn't sit till they could pretty much walk!

at ages 6 and 8 years they still have trouble sitting lol!

I've noticed that milestones tend to follow a family pattern, both myself and DH were early movers, and so to were both our DS. My brother was early talker and late walker ditto his son. Not exact science but I do think there Some kind of inherited link.

scandichick Tue 03-May-16 22:27:25

Weaning has absolutely no correlation, so I'd stick to the official advice of waiting until six months - you can do baby-led weaning then, great fun!

Lulabelle2212 Tue 03-May-16 22:29:45

Thanks so much, ladies. I really appreciate it. Although I love the interaction of having a 5 month old & seeing DS's personality starting to emerge, I hate the pressure of hitting those milestones 'on time'. I am trying not to compare him with other babies but it's so hard sometimes. Just wish we can be in our little bubble sometimes - I know my anxiety is probably putting pressure on him which can't help.

I'm feeling much better - thank you x

SamiSambo Fri 06-May-16 23:06:40

I have a 5mo DD and the description you have given is exactly the same as where my DD is at. If I didnt know better i would have thought I wrote it as everything matches haha x

Kariana Sat 07-May-16 10:56:06

This sounds totally normal so please don't worry. Sitting and tummy time are probably quite uncomfortable for him if he has bad reflux so please don't push it - you really don't want a situation where he associates sitting with pain. I would leave that until the reflux settles. I would say to only just be sitting unsupported by 8 months is totally Norma so he has months before there should be any concern.

Newtobecomingamum Sun 08-May-16 19:22:03

By baby girl is exactly 5m and can only roll on her side not completely over, can't sit up unaided or crawl yet. When I had DS1 he was exactly that same at 5m, then come 6/7m he did it all. Don't stress too much about milestones as all babies are different X

donotreadtheDailyHeil Sun 08-May-16 19:31:10

I thought average babies were supposed to sit unaided by 8 months? 5 would seem to be very early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now