Toddler tantrums at bedtime

(8 Posts)
twirlywoo69 Mon 02-May-16 19:59:34

I've just given in to some very unreasonable demands from my tired toddler and after saying no a million times to chocolate I ended up saying yes... simply because I'm shattered and I know I can hurry up bedtime if I say yes and let her
get what she wants. Now feel like a crap mum for giving in but I'm just not in mood for the battle. Please tell me I'm not only one who has given in to toddler being a brat? I know supernanny would have gone mad as your not supposed to give in...

lightgreenglass Mon 02-May-16 20:38:18

I do this all the time and vow that I won't do it again and then I do it again. It's a vicious circle.

Gardencentregroupie Mon 02-May-16 20:40:53

Supernanny can get fucked. It's one thing doing something for a few days with someone else's kids, a whole other thing day in day out (and nights too) with your own. The only thing I will say is, if you're going to give in then give in fast! That way they don't learn that extended whining won't work because no after 2 minutes really does mean no smile

RNBrie Mon 02-May-16 20:44:22

I agree that if you're going to give in then give in fast, or don't get into it in the first place. They're smart these little people and each tantrum will just go on longer than the last if they know they're going to win eventually.

I have learned to say "let me think about it" rather than just a flat no. Then I decide how much I care about the demand and how strong I'm feeling for the battle before deciding if they can have what they want!

twirlywoo69 Mon 02-May-16 21:19:19

Thank god I'm not only one. It was choice of say no and have the tantrum escalate and go on and on and on and on with her turning into little girl from exorcist for two hours, or saying yes and calming her down instantly so she will go to bed and i can have a rest. Yeah I need to stand my ground more but at bedtime I just am not in mood!

RNBrie Mon 02-May-16 21:52:59

I should add, that if I do say no, I never ever back down. It takes a couple of goes but once they realise you mean it, they do stop pushing so hard and the tantrums ease up considerably. It's worth it in the long run!!

Wolfiefan Mon 02-May-16 21:55:05

You need to learn to put up with tantrums, always say yes or bite the bullet and deal with it. You are teaching your child that a tantrum gets what they want.
If I say no. It's no. End of. My kids know I mean it so there is no point in a tantrum.

LimesMum Tue 03-May-16 06:48:39

How do you mean by giving in fast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now